Prologue

October 7, 2036—the day humans and demons were corralled into their pens like cattle.

The rules were established after the Eclipse War. The document signed and not a single soul applauded the leaders of Day and Night. The division of good and evil was set to allow the world to continue living in some sense of false harmony. Six years of taking up arms, destroying cities and countries had resulted in too many deaths. Races fell from the face of the earth, continents shattered after chaos erupted, and anarchy devastated the planet in what resulted in some apocalyptic war riddled in savagery.

Something had to be done. A truce had to be established before civilization fell from the face of the earth and humans became extinct.

Pride was swallowed and decisions were made. Three leaders were established to represent the light dwellers and three more for the night. Not a single person would ever have full control of the realms. Single rulers were forever forbidden to have complete command of the population. The Pre-Eclipse Era had proven to be a result of such downfall. Too many individual leaders and dictatorship corrupted all parts of the world, not worthy to hold the fate of humanity in their greedy hands.

After the rise of evil, separation was essential for the survival of what remained of civilization. It was necessary now that demons and humans walked the streets in constant conflict. Demons had not caused the war, but they had arrived into the welcoming arms of the humans who had summoned them to Earth. Humans, who decided that the devil would answer their pleas when no response from the heavens came in the form of an ethereal leader. Their misguided beliefs and desperation called forth creatures from the depths of hell to help solve foolish battles of mankind.

These demons became a pandemic and hid themselves well in their human shells, powerful enough to not only help the ravages of war but to escalate the damage of humanity as well. They became known as the Crimsons—the red eyed miscreants of hell.

Soon, new races were born. Ethnicities were forever changed or vanquished as the wars escalated. Six torturous years of hiding, running, surviving finally came to an end with an unbreakable truce.

The choice was yours. Choose wisely the life you could endure in order to survive, but there was no turning back. Therefore, a proclamation was enforced for each realm of the new world to ensure the safety of all souls. The one hundred eighty-two-page codex of the Light and Dark Realms were established, signed, and sealed by each of the two Triads, their emblems stamped upon the eternal parchment—a sun and crescent moon.

A decree was established in the Light Realm, and the consequences were severe. Rules were followed at all cost and there was no room for error. It would forever compel the human race to remember the consequences of their actions when they chose to take matters into their own hands by delivering to its people something worse than blood riddled battlegrounds.

Strict orders were established that guided every aspect of your life, from birth to death. Consequences were extremely harsh, but those were the ramifications of war. If you wish to live beneath the rays of the sun, become a perfect Light Citizen or choose to test your fate in the night. No one dared such a leap of faith, and to keep the children securely tucked away in their beds at night, a lullaby was sung to put them to sleep. The song of the Inferno Code.

When you hear the siren's call

Don't be out past the light.

Always adhere to the Sunlit laws

For the demons rule the night.

Beware the red or silver orbs

If they should ever meet your eyes.

Hell will reach into your soul

To wickedly possess your mind.

Heed the touch of demon flesh

If caught at night within their midst.

Run until the morning shines

Or you will burn into abyss.

The rules of the Dark Realm were also initiated to keep the wicked at bay and warn them of how easy death was attainable if territories were crossed. But in all honesty, there was no need for enforcing a decree where demons dwelled. Justice could easily find a way beneath the stars where villains ascended away from the blinding rays of the sun. The Dark Realm proclamation was more of a warning for how swiftly justice would be served when one resided in hell, and more of a cautionary stance for the humans who dared to encroach into their night.

Find a way to survive the dark or pay with your life. The world where only the moon bore witness to treachery was harsh, rules were often broken, and savagery had become prevalent. It was inhabited by demons, human rebels, and what has become known as the fearsome Malefics—the new human and demon race that surpasses all other beings in strength, stamina, possessive power, and acute intelligence.

The Malefics that have become the rare hybrids of the future.