Then let's end it here.

Fukase woke up.

Well, he didn't actually wake up as he did become aware.

The past. The past before. The past created by the Author.

He remembered who he was.

A giant, featureless white plain extended in all directions, as far as he could see. Fukase glanced down, and was greeted by his familiar crazy red and white color scheme. He ran his hands over his strange coat, felt the raised abnormalities on his pale skin, and swung his cane a few times. Its weight was familiar, solid, and welcome. He adjusted his hat.

This was how it should be.

This was how it always was.

"Hey." A soft voice spoke behind him.

Fukase turned around, fingering the stiff edging on his coat. "I forgot I looked like this."

Oliver stood there with a hand over the bandages on his face. "Me too. It's kinda comforting for some reason."

"We were trying to avoid clichés, but it seems our love is a lie." Fukase chuckled wryly.

"At least we get some closure." Oliver held out his hand for Fukase to shake. "V3 OLIVER. From Power FX with VocaTone."

"I'm VOCALOID4 Fukase. Yamaha Corporation." Fukase took it, and Oliver smiled.

"It's nice to remember you."

There was an awkward beat.

"So, we're cool, right?" Oliver cocked his head, a nervous smile on his lips. "No hard feelings about breaking up?"

"Of course not," Fukase said, incredulous. "You're like, ten."

"I'm twelve."

"So, a fourth grader?"

"I am not!"

"You're a baby."

"Am not!"

"Are too."

"Am not!!"

"I'm sorry."

"You're sorry? What for?"

"For not realizing sooner." Fukase looked away sheepishly. "And for being a spineless mess of a main character."

Oliver laughed. "I've forgotten already."

Then Oliver gasped. His eye widened and he slapped his hands over his face. "Wait! I can't believe I kissed you!! Oh no, let's never speak of it. I'm gonna die of embarrassment."

It was Fukase's turn to laugh. "I've already forgotten."

Oliver peeked through his fingers and gave a weak grin. Fukase felt a soft affection like a fluffy blanket around his shoulders.

"C'mere, you." Fukase pulled Oliver into a hug.

"Now I understand why I loved you so much," Oliver mumbled into his coat.

"We're like... family...?" Fukase ventured out.

"That's so not it."

Fukase agreed. He couldn't explain it, and neither could Oliver. It wasn't a romantic love, but it wasn't anything that could be called a friendship or a brotherly bond either. It teetered on the edge of something big, and deep, and good, and warm. Something they knew, but couldn't put into words...

Into words that could contain it.

They stayed like that for a while, until Oliver started fidgeting in the embrace and patting Fukase's shoulder like he could tap out. Fukase let go.

"When do you think this chapter's going to end?" Oliver asked. "When it does, the story will end too, and we'll go back to our old lives."

"Are you ready to?" Fukase made a vague motion with his cane. "Leave all this behind?"

The two Vocaloids looked around at all the nothing, all the potential around them.

Fukase couldn't help the smile that crept onto his face as Oliver made a rude gesture into the void.

"Most definitely."

"Then let's end it here."