Chapter 24: A family reunited

(Y/N)'s P.O.V.

November 16th
12:46 pm

I chuckled, glancing at Connor out of the corner of my eye. He shot me a worried look, hence I turned around to place my hand on his shoulder. "It will be fine, trust me," I placated my partner, who took a deep breath and then nodded. It was quite funny to see how a meeting with Hank caused Connor to be much more nervous, than facing his own people after a part of them believed, he had turned on them. We had just returned from meeting Markus and his folk, since I had insisted on explaining the incident to them all. Fortunately, I managed to convince them of the fact that Connor had not willingly shot me, cleaning their image of him once more. I was glad, they had all believed me. Suffering was what I had wished to avoid after all.

I stared at the food truck labeled "Chicken Feed". I smiled to myself, thinking of the first time we had come here with Hank. Back then, our whole team had appeared to be one big mess but seeing us now... I was proud, to put it in a simple way. Contented to have this family. I once more peeked at Connor, who now stared off into the distance. He had told me how he had been unable to face Hank after having shot me due to the guilt. That was why I wanted them to talk to each other now. I was sure that Hank actually was more glad than angry at the android. Spotting the grey haired man a few feet away, I beamed. He slowly approached us, a grin immediately lacing his lips. Once he arrived in front of us, I slightly tilted my head, still smiling. "(Y/N), it's good to see you doin' well." He addressed me, hence I laughed, replying, "You don't know how much I missed you in the past few days."

Hank playfully scoffed and then looked at Connor, the grin not leaving his face. "Hank, I wanted to apologize for making you worry about (Y/N). I-" Before he was able to continue, the lieutenant quickly pulled the android into a hug, tightly embracing him. That image reminded me so much of a father and his son, whereas I felt a tear blur my vision. Even though Hank had not always been by our side in the disaster some time ago, he had helped us both so much since we had started working together. He was an unbearable part of this family. After a while, the two men let go, as I met the grey haired man's gaze. "Should we get something to eat?" I asked with a smile, earning a nod from my two partners.

We headed over to Gary Keyes, the owner of the food truck, and ordered lunch. After having received it, we all walked over to the table we had occupied before in the past. Opening the box of my food, I took one of the french fries and placed it in my mouth. Hank revealed his burger, taking a large bite out of it. Obviously he enjoyed his lunch, making me silently smile to myself. "So, you two kids managed to save a folk's fate, huh? God, I should've known you were crazy once we joined the same team..." The grey haired man muttered, his voice filled with naches despite his rather cold words. I chuckled, as Connor smiled. "We surely are a strange combination," I mentioned, taking another one of the french fries.

For a while, no one said a word until Connor decided to speak up. "Will we still be able to work together with you Hank?" I spotted genuine worry and curiosity in my partners voice, sharing those emotions. I did not know what would happen to us now that CyberLife was kind of... Restricted by the president. The lieutenant weakly smiled. "I managed to save both of your jobs. We'll remain a team." I beamed at the news, putting my hands together. "Thank you so much Hank!" I exclaimed, putting my food aside for a second. The grey haired man was about to wave it off, yet I stopped him. "No, seriously. Not only for this but for being there for us this whole time. I sincerely appreciate you." I smiled at him and then partly stepped back in order to be able to see both of my partners.

Feeling as if I was giving a speech, I could not help but faintly laugh. "Before I joined this team I had tried to create a goal for myself in life so I would not give up. However, this time I have an actual desire. I wish for this team to never dissolve. I yearn to keep having you two in my life. Honestly, this family is more worth than anything I had ever experienced in my past." I glanced from Hank to Connor and then shortly onto the ground. "I used to be deeply attached to my father, as he was the only one who had ever given me something similar to love. Even when he went insane due to the Red Ice influence of his work. I never stopped obeying and kept on focusing on the tiny ounce of affection I held deep within my heart. Ever since we started developing this bond as a team, I learned how true love felt like. I opened my eyes, like all the deviants out there." Moving my head up again, I confidently grinned at both men in front of me. "You two made me realize that. You gave me a purpose. Seriously, thank you so much for all of this. I would never want to ever give it away."

Hank stared at me, as if I had just turned his whole world around, while Connor gently smiled at me. The android neared me, grasping both of my hands and pressing a soft kiss on my forehead. "I can only give the same back to you (Y/N). You aided me in finding myself. I really do love you," he mildly whispered into my ears, whereas I smiled, satisfied. Now Hank approached us both, suddenly hugging us together. "I thought my whole world broke down after... Cole's death. I hate soundin' this corny but you two helped me build it up again. Thanks kids." I chuckled into the grey haired man's shoulder, softly replying, "I love you, dad."

I knew a new era had started for me. One where I did not need to keep on faking emotions. One where I was serene to live in. While Hank had given me another, a much healthier family, Connor had helped me learn to genuinely love someone again. This life would continue despite dark days. Another light now always shone down on me, making me feel elated to keep on surviving.