Chapter 5

Day 6-10

Summer came about and it was not long till Alfred dressed up for it. The temperature was humid, the sun was glaring it's burning rays and the sky was just perfect with the right amount of beam to penetrate skin but that's why sunblock exists. The clear water of the sea just relaxed my tensions and the sand sticking against my feet felt nice, Alfred came running down the inclined hill with a toothy grin as I picked up the picnic basket and blanket from the trunk of the car.

"Mattie! Mattie! Play with me!" He hollered as both his hands circled his mouth, I smiled. Kuma decided to stay home for the summer, since he'd suffer from heat if he stayed under the scorching for about 20 seconds, but I didn't mind regardless. After all, he's the one who'd take care of the house while I'm gone. I carefully slid down the inclined hill making sure I don't trip over and laughed as he ran to me with his little feet. He suddenly took the picnic blanket I had on my arm and threw it on the ground under the shade of a tree as the sand immediately took airborne and flew against the breeze from the impact.

"Careful Alfred, there might be sand on the blanket" I propped the basket beside me and kneeled to pick up the blanket and dust away the sand on top of it. I straightened the blanket and sat myself down on the rather warm blanket with the basket still beside me. Before I could a rest and read a book, I sensed a stare piercing against my way and I looked up to see Alfred with a scrunched up face.

"What's the matter Alfred?" I asked concerned, he only gave me a glare and narrowed his eyes some more with his arms crossed against his chest. For sure, he was waiting for me to play with him.

I stood up, knowing that he'd be surprised that I knew by now and scooped him off the ground running towards the cool waters of the sea. He used to do this as a kid when we found a river nearby, and we'd immediately take of our clothes to run towards it and splash our faces with the sensation of the refreshing water. When I'm not noticing, he'd pick me up and throw me on the water and a big splash would occur; he'd laugh at my expression because he knew I hated it. Though I wished I could be strong like him, I couldn't do the same. No matter how much I try to pick him up praying that I'd carry him a few inches off the ground, I could never. With my weak arms and legs, I could only imagine myself being stumbled upon Alfred as a child.

But now, this is my chance to get him back though he'd never remember. With my feet hurriedly tapping against the scorching sand, Alfred on my arms, and the breeze flying against my face, I felt happiness overwhelming me. I was completely focusing on how much I could finally taste revenge that I didn't realize I was smiling.

As my knees felt the water washed against them, I immediately threw Alfred up in the air and watched the scene before me as he collided with the sea with a big splash that fell against me with no mercy but I didn't care. I had so much fun.

As Alfred popped his head on the water gasping for air, he had a big smile on his face and laughter erupted. I wouldn't be surprised that he love it too much since he wanted me to do this back when we were children but If I hadn't been that weak, maybe I could finally meet up to his expectations.

Right now, I'm his big brother. A brother who'd be there for him no matter what..

Even if he couldn't do that for me

Alfred broke my train of thought when he spattered the salty water on my face which burned my eyes as I took off my glasses before I could take him airborne on my arms. I winced at the stinging  sensation from my eyes and Alfred immediately took notice when I curled up with my face few inches away from my knees and my hands casted over my hands.

"Mattie! Did I hurt ya? I'm really sorry!" he continuously apologized as he started to whine obviously labeling himself a 'bad boy' at his fault. Though my eyes are watery and still full of pain, I could see the blurred face of Alfred's face with tears on his eyes and a mouth that covered about half his head with his wails screaming from ear to ear causing an audience nearby. I pulled him into a hug muffling his tears feeling like if he could scream any louder, my eardrums would pop. As I rubbed circles on his back reassuring that I was fine, he finally stopped and the crowd grew larger than expected; bringing up their phones as they take candid photos of me and Alfred saying how much of a good big brother I am.