Chapter 17

At another end, after helping several wounded people to bandage their injuries, Ruan Xiang Yin heard sobbing sounds in a corner.

When she turned to look back, she saw a little girl about five years old covered with dirt, her little body was shrunk in a corner and crying pitifully.

"That is Ya Er. Her mother had used her body to protect Ya Er and was instantly crushed to death by a fallen pillar and Ya Er whom she protected escaped unscathed."

A woman clutching her son who was rescued from the rubble said with lingering fear and sorrow.

After hearing the woman, Ruan Xiang Yin's eye-rims turned red. Looking at the total destruction of this village, she wondered how many people would have to separate from their loved ones and leave their homes? It made people resent Heaven's ruthlessness.

"Doesn't Ya Er have other family members?"

"There is an uncle. I heard that he operates a small business in Luoyang." The woman answered.

Ruan Xiang Yin walked to the corner and squatted down in front of Ya Er. She used her handkerchief to wipe off the dirt on her little face and said softly.

"Ya Er, don't be sad. Your Mother will not be at ease underground. Will you let Big Sister take you to Luoyang to look for your uncle?"

Ya Er lifted up her tear-stained little face and stared at her for a while before she said between sobs.

"Mother is dead. Ya Er doesn't want Mother to die."

"I know. Be good, don't cry."

Ruan Xiang Yin could not bear it, pulled the little girl into her arms and her throat constricted.

"Xiang Yin."

Dong Fang Tang holding three flat cakes*, called out to her in a soft whisper. Just now the woman had already told him about Ya Er's case.

(Flat cakes look something like this.  Basically, they are made of flour, oil, salt and water.  These cakes are coarse, hard and plain.  Travelers during ancient times usually pack these cakes on long journeys since they can be kept for a long period of time without getting moldy.)

Ruan Xiang Yin released Ya Er and turned around to look at Dong Fang Tang. She took a piece of cake from him and handed it to Ya Er for her to eat first.

Dong Fang Tang sat down beside her and gave her a piece of the flat cake. The two of them felt equally depressed.

"The patients on my side have been treated and their wounds bandaged. What about those on your side?"

Ruan Xiang Yin took a bite on the flat cake even though she did not have any appetite.

"Almost done."

He took a bite on the flat cake in his hand and watched as the soldiers carried the dead bodies recovered from the rubbles to a spot to be collectively burned.

In Shuiyuan Village, there were only a hundred plus villagers and since the earthquake, half of the villagers were already dead which made it impossible for the rest of the villagers to carry on staying here.

"Doctor Dong Fang, we are planning to leave this place to seek our relatives. Thank you."

Just now, that woman leading her son came to bid farewell to the both of them.

Several villagers who were only slightly injured also wanted to leave this sad place and came over to thank them and took their leave.

Dong Fang Tang and Ruan Xiang Yin looked at the departing villagers. Now only the severely injured villagers were left and for the time being, the both of them were unable to leave.