Adoption

As always, this chapter picks up from last chapter.

A few days went by and you had called a few people that were interested in Itachi but none of them were good enough to even set up a meeting face to face with

A few days went by and you had called a few people that were interested in Itachi but none of them were good enough to even set up a meeting face to face with. As you continued to work at the shelter and searching for possible homes for Itachi it seemed like it was impossible.

One day when you were training one of the new dogs in the shelter, one of your colleague came in and told you that Mrs. Jeon wanted to see you in the lobby. You were finished working with the dog in 10 minutes or so so you told your colleague to ask Mrs. Jeon to wait a few minutes.

You were left alone in the room with the dog while you wondered what Mrs. Jeon wanted to talk about.

The 10 minutes had passed and you walked the new dog back to it's cage and made your way to the lobby. Mrs. Jeon was sitting there with Jae-hyung by her side and Itachi laying on the floor. You walked up to them and Mrs. Jeon immediately stood up and so did Jae-hyung and Itachi.

"Ms. Y/L/N, I'm sorry to just show up unexpected but me and my son have something we want to talk to you about." Mrs. Jeon said with a quiet and shaky voice while looking down at the floor.

You checked if there was an empty room somewhere and entered it with the rest following close behind. As you all took a seat you took a closer look at the two people in front of you.

Mrs. Jeon took of her long coat so you could see the dark green dress she was wearing under it. Her eyes were red and swollen with some mascara streaks visible to the eye. Her black hair looked a bit messy on the right side of her head like she had been resting her head on her hand earlier.

Jae-hyung looked pale, paler than normal. His dark eye circles were prominent on his face making his small eyes look even smaller. His lips were pale and cracked and he looked tired. Was this really the effect of giving Itachi up? He wore a blue beanie, it looked like the one he was wearing when you first saw him. He was wearing a hoodie under the jacket that he had taken off and he was rubbing his hands against each other like he was cold.

As it looked like Mrs. Jeon was gonna say something Jae-hyung opened his mouth and started talking.

"I'm sorry..."

You were surprised and looked at Jae-hyung who held his head down as if he was too embarrassed to look you in the eyes. Before you could say anything he started talking again.

"I know that I've made it hard for you to find a home to Itachi... Both the couple and the man was nice and I wouldn't have minded letting Itachi go to either of them; if it weren't for you... I-I-I'm selfish for saying this but I didn't want to let go of Itachi because I wanted you to adopt him. I thought that maybe after seeing him you would change your mind and adopt him.. I didn't want to give Itachi a perfect home with someone else but you. I know you care for not only Itachi but for us to be okay with where Itachi ends up.... I'm sorry Y/N, I shouldn't have only though about myself."

At the end of his speech no one inside of the room were safe from tears and you stood up from your chair and made your way in front of Jae-hyung. When you were at eye level with him you made sure to catch your breath before starting to talk.

"You have nothing to be sorry about. Yes, the man and the couple was both very nice, but you said yourself that you had a bad feeling about him, and the couple was almost perfect but if you had the feeling that they were lying when they said that they were going to keep the name you gave him, then so be it... I do know someone who is perfect for Itachi though, if you still want me to help you find someone?"

Jae-hyung was nodding his head furiously.

"I would like to adopt Itachi."

You heard Jae-hyung's breaths slowing down and then breathing as fast as possible while he suddenly clung onto you tightly.

"Do you really mean that?" the little boy said into your shoulder.

"Yes of course I mean it!"

A few days later you found yourself in the same room as before with adoption papers in front of you. A happy little boy looked into your eyes suddenly and with a serious tone he asked, 

"Will his name still be Itachi?"

"Yes, of course!"

"Good, 'cause Itachi is my favourite character in Naruto!" 

You all laughed together and Mrs. Jeon then cleared her throat. 

"We actually wanted to tell you the real reason why we can't keep Itachi." she said with a shaky voice.

"It wasn't all a lie, what we told you; but there's much more to it."

You looked between Jae-hyung and Mrs. Jeon wondering what the real reason was. 

Was there a deeper reason why they couldn't keep him and that's why they were very emotionally unstable when it came to finding him a new home? 

Mrs. Jeon looked at her son who just nodded at her to continue. 

"Well you see..." Mrs. Jeon took a deep breath and you could see that what she was about to say was devastating. She breathed out shakily. 

"This story started when Jae was only 3 years old, and it's the reason why we got Itachi and why we can't keep him..."

You could see Mrs. Jeon's eyes getting filled with tears as she grabbed onto her sons hand and gave it a squeeze. 

"Take your time Mrs. Jeon." you said as you watched her trying to compose herself. 

"My son," she started as she reached for her sons beanie, stopping when she had her hand on it. She waited for her son's permission to take it off and as he nodded, she did. 

Everything made sense....