Lesson Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"Lyra?" Zane's voice rang out but he sounded like he was asking a question. Almost like he didn't know what else to say.

"The one and only." I said grinning as I looked at them both. "I didn't mean to interrupt your little make out session but I need to talk to you."

Zane cleared his throat and let go of the girl so she could get off his lap. The blonde girl quickly got her top of the floor and threw it over her head. I didn't even notice that she was just in her bra.

"What more could you want Lyra? You already gave me a broken nose in the last few days and lost me leadership. Now Riker is in charge of what happens next."

My eyes snapped back to Zane and away from the girl as she left. I wasn't going to lie my thoughts had wondered a bit and I wasn't listening to one word he said.

"About a little message you sent to my mother."

There was nothing but confusion on his face. "What message?"

I studied him for a moment. I could always tell when Zane was hiding something from me. It was one of the reason we broke up maybe if I was more gullible and ignored the signs we would still be together.

"You really don't know?"

He shook his head and narrowed his eyes slightly. "What is this about Lyra? What message?"

"Someone texted my mother pretending to be Damon. They wanted to met her at some restaurant. I got someone to trace the message and it led me to here. So either you know what is going on or you have a problem on your hands."

He was deep in thought as he threw his top back on. Clearly if I didn't walk in when I did they would be doing more than just kissing.

"Look Lyra, the two of us might have our differences but you know I would never try and do something to your family. I'm cocky and brave but I'm not asking for a death wish. I don't need the shit that your family can rain down on me."

Watching him walk around to the front of the large wooden desk he say on the edge of it. That desk might be his father's right now but this would all be Zane's some day. I knew that I might have a hold on him now but when that time comes I fear I will lose that power. Right now though, I didn't have that problem.

"Well then you may find out who sent that message and I know it came from here." I walked closer to him making sure he understood my every word. "So you either have someone who thinks they are helping you out here or someone who is working for someone else. I will not have them come after us. Do I make myself clear."

He looked me dead in the eye and slowly nodded. "I'll find them."

"You better because Riker has my mothers phone right now and is probably getting someone to trace it. Trust me when I say you probably don't want him finding it. So who ever they are I would get them to destroy it quickly before this falls on your shoulders. I have other shit to deal with. I don't need a war between you two right now."

I don't know why I was telling him this. I don't know why I was saving his ass when I owed him nothing. I guess when you had been protecting someone for so long from their own destruction it was hard to stop.

"I'll find them Lyra I promise."

"You better."

There was a promise in my tone as I turned around and went to walk out of the office. I was stopped in my tracks when he called out after me.

"You're looking good these days."

I turned and looked at him over my shoulder. I could see his gaze looking me up and down but I felt nothing. I had already went down that road once and I wasn't about to do it again.

"Sorry I don't play with the same toy twice you should know that better than anyone."

With that I walked away.

Walking towards my car there was something I noticed and it was offsetting. There was none of the gang members here it was just the guards. Something was going down somewhere and I didn't even know. I wasn't surprised though. Unless it happened on my side of the City I didn't really hear anything.

Getting into my car that was still parked out the front I quickly turned the engine on but I didn't make a move to leave. I was lost in my own thoughts wondering who could've texted my mother. The chances of me actually knowing them was slim through. Even if I did spend years hanging out here.

As I was about to drive off my phone started to ring. Not even bothering to see who it was I answered.

"Hello?"

"Where are you?" Came my twin brothers voice. He sounded on edge like he was running around doing things.

"Out, why?" I didn't really want him knowing I was at Zane's house. God knows what would happen if he found out. The two of them used to be best friends before this whole thing happened.

"Mom is missing."

I knew from just the fact that he said mom that he wasn't lying. I looked back up at Zane's house before putting on my seat belt.

"I'm coming home now."