Chapter 14: Essence

Tears fell down her cheeks and May dropped to the floor, crying her pain out silently. Her temperature was warm with an unknown fever. This is stupid she thought, she pulled herself in a kneeling position and pressed her forehead to the wall trying to close her eyes.

Memories flashed through her mind, memories where sister Julia prepared her breakfast, when they went to the park or the church.  She had been like a mother to her, even though she said they were sisters in the eyes of God. Julianne, that was her complete name, Julianne Roquefort. She would always be the mother of her soul, no matter what she had said.

May just wanted to be normal, not the monster she was now

If she could just rewind time.

“May?”

She opened her eyes and looked at the shadow that fell under the bottom of the door

“May” the voice sounded urgent but at the same time calm “Are you alright?”

May looked at her hands that were cut with small glittering pieces of glass. She took a large piece of glass and held it.

“I don’t know?” she said, but it was really  a question for her.

The door knob broke and the lock flew away in broken shards. May covered her face with her hands and shut her eyes trying to avoid the sharp metal. Steps echoed in the bathroom and her grip on the glass tightened. If Alec even touched her, he would die, she would make sure of it.

She turned her head slightly looking at the floor and its reflection between her eyelashes

Two pair of black leather boots stopped in front of her.

“Please don't hurt me” she cracked waiting for Alec.

“Never”

This wasn't Alec. Dark red eyes stared back at her, no stillness and  coldness existed in them, they were sharp, awake but also calm and under control. His jaw was clenched tight with contained anger. A beautiful pale angel, and he would be the end of her.

“Stay     away     from    me” she articulated slowly. Quickly as her eyes spotted it she dropped the small glass and enclosed her hand around a bigger one; sharp and lethal, perfect for protection.

“And why should I do that?” Demetri questioned tipping his head slowly in inquiry, indifferent to the weapon she now  held.

“Because I will, I will...”

“kill you?” he completed. May observed him and stood ready to pounce on him if she had to, the glass trembled in her hand.

“You don't know what I'm capable off” she hissed.

“I thought we had already gone through this before,” he sighed, May opened her eyes wide in realization he was right, even if she tried she would never find the strength to harm him, not again, “This is not you May, I know it, I don't want you to be like this” Demetri´s eyes hardened “You're not meant to kill”

“What do you know about harm” she scoffed looking down at her reflection on the glass, “You kill for a living! Why do you even care”

She turned to look at him again and with a low voice said “You don't even have a soul”

Hurt flashed through his eyes stopping  whatever he was going to say next. May regretted saying that.

“You're  right” he admitted “I don't have a soul, but I don't really care about me. Infact I never want you to be like me”

“Too late” May said remembering the red liquid in the cup “I already am”

This was it, Demetri thought. His hand came around her wrist and in one swift movement he had taken the glass right in front of her. He opened the bathroom door completely with the tip of his foot  and forced her to walk quickly out.