Chapter 5: Everything happens for a reason

May jumped over the rooftop´s of the buildings of Venecia and sat down on a small chimena. She sighed, the city looked beautiful from above, all the different canals shined under the sunlight. She always knew she was different, she grew faster than other children, she was stronger and faster, she had sensible ears and sensed smells at far distances. Could she be a vampire? No, she would never kill another creature, never. She would never kill anything, she would never drink blood.

        “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be”Sister Julia´s words  echoed in her head. May knew what she wanted to be and she had chosen well. She wanted to be human. We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us. May nodded and smiled when she looked at the sky. She was human, she had a soul and she would always keep it dearly, untouched and pure. She rested her head on the chimney, watched the clouds pass and slowly passed into a deep and unconscious sleep.

***

A voice broke the silence, it was night. How could she have slept so long? May quickly stood up. Something was wrong. She took a deep breath of fresh air, only to find that it wasn´t fresh air. A scent contaminated the air, like black darkened white. She heard a woman scream this time clearly. She ran towards the voice, she jumped of her building and landed on a dark alleyway. She walked towards the voice who died down. She sharpened her eyes and saw a man, he had his mouth on the neck of a woman. Where they kissing? May felt disgusted and was about to leave when  the man turned to face her. Red eyes stared back at her and May gasped, a vampire.

He took his hands of the woman making her  fall pale to the ground. The man slowly came towards her.
“A girl like you shouldn´t be out in the streets at this time” he said smiling.
“What did you do to the woman!” May demanded standing her ground. He sneered showing a pale set of white teeth

“I did this”

The man was over her in a second, his mouth over her neck. May knew what he would do. She pushed him away using all her strength, banging him against a wall. The man was up in a second and jumped towards her again, May managed to dodge the man at the last second. Quickly she grabbed the collar of his shirt and banged him against the wall again.

The man suddenly turned to face her and took her shirt and pushed her against the wall. He was stronger than her.

The man put his hands around her neck firmly and pressed her to the wall. She put her hands in his face trying to push him away, “leave me alone!”she cried. Suddenly she heard a ripping sound and a crack began to appear on his neck.  She pushed his harder and the crack deepened. She used all her strength and then man cried out in pain, his head fell towards the floor and landed with a clank, the sound of stone against stone.

The rest of the body of the man fell towards the floor. May looked at her hands and back at the man. The man had no blood, he was a being of stone, who feeded on others to survive. May had killed him. She suddenly heard a small moan, she turned to look at the woman, she was still alive! May was over to her in an instant. She was deathly pale and two pink dots were in her neck. She quickly searched for a mobile phone and dialed an ambulance.

“You´ll be okay” May said trying to calm the woman down, “the man is gone”. The woman looked at her and her lips managed to make a smile, “thank you” she said and with that she slowly closed her eyes.

May felt tears begin to form in her eyes.  It is a curious thing, death. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know or don´t. It is like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things.

The story was repeating itself May thougth.

She slowly kissed the woman in the forehead and for an instant she saw Sister Julia again. Warm tears flowed down her cheeks as she remembered that day. Why did it always have to end like this!Maybe if she had been quicker she couldv´e saved her, maybe, maybe…

An ambulance wailed in the distance coming closer, a noise that May had now learnt to dispise.

She stood up and looked back at the body of the dead man, no, he wasn´t even a man, a vampire, a souless creature. He deserved something more than death, something that made him stand weak at the knees bidding for forgiveness, death was a low prize to pay. He should burn in the flames of himself. May took a match of one of her pockets and lit it, she threw it at the body. It ignited fast and in a few seconds only a pile of ashes remained. The wind blew leaving only the dead woman laying in the floor.

May took her bracelet from her hand, a small wooden cross hanged from it. She put it gently over her chest, “this will never happen again. I promise.”

May put her hood on stood up and walked out of the dark alley. She might not have saved her life, but now she knew something important.

“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be”

May had decided, she had decided who she wanted to be. Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.May stared back at the moon. Everything happened for a reason and now she had found hers.

“All of us were born with a letter inside us, and only if we are true to ourselves, may we be allowed to read it before we die.”

May knew what she had to do. She would never be late now. She would protect the people. She would hunt  down each and everyone of the demons, one by one, she would make them forgive and then die. There were no words for what they had done. The right choice is hardly ever the easy choice, but she would do it, she would do it until the last breath of fresh air left her body. May was born for a reason and now she had found it.

***

Alec Volturi banged the doors of the throne room open, he wasn´t alone a pale woman stood next to him. “Aro, someone has killed my mate” she said, she fell down to her knees and Aro looked back at her, “Who did it?!” Caius demanded, “I don´t know, it dissapeared, but”, the woman opened her hand revealing a bracelet with a wooden cross, “it left this”.

Demetri took the bracelet in his hands allmost instantly, the sweet scent hit him again. He looked up to Aro his eyes dark as the coals of the fireplace. A child, the girl, she was still alive and he would find her.