Chapter 1: Abandoned

Rain poured on the cold streets of Rome Italy. The cold echoes of the rain hid the small sobs of a small child. A woman in a dark cape held  a small basket closely to her body  under the umbrella. A cry broke the air and she tried to quiet the small child. She looked around and walked quickly towards a large building,  she climbed a few steps up and into the shelter of a door. She touched the child lightly in the cheek, trying to sooth her. She would miss her, but she had been left with no other choice, her girl would be safer here, safer than what she would ever wish to be.

Was she doing the right choice? She shook her head, yes. The best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. She kissed her child in the forehead.

        “Everything will be okay” a tear fell from her eye. The child would be okay, but she wouldn´t. Her fate was allready sealed by the actions she had taked and now she couldn´t do nothing, the Volturi would kill her and she wouldn´t be able to run forever. She looked at the child, kissed her on the forhead one last time and knocked on the door before dissapearing quickly into the shadows of the night.

A short woman in black robes appeared allmost instantly at the door, a nun, she looked around but no one was there, a small quiet sob made her look down. A child stared back at her, with round green eyes. Who could have left her? Sister Julia wondered. She walked out of the shelter of the door and cried for her mother to come back, but no one answered only the echoes of her own voice bouncing of the cold streets. She turned back and picked the child with her hand, the child smiled back at her and held her arms out for her. Sister Julia smiled and closed the door slowly behind her. In the English language there are orphans and widows, but there is no word for the parents who loses a child.

        “What is your name?” she whispered. She knelt down for any sign or note telling her the child´s name, a note slipped out of the small cloth.

May

        “Well May, your parents might have left you, but your father will never leave you”. That night the nun took her inside the cold walls of the church. The child had lost a family, but now she had found a new one.

                                                        ***

(2 years later)        

        “Have you ever heard the wonderful silence just before the dawn? Or the quiet and calm just as a storm ends? Or perhaps you know the silence when you haven't the answer to a question you've been asked, or the hush of a country road at night, or the expectant pause of a room full of people when someone is about to speak, or most beautiful of all, the moment after the door closes and you're alone in the whole house? Each one is different, you know, and all are very beautiful if you listen carefully" sister Julia said.

May sat down on the bench listening carefully to the sounds of the park. Children played an laughed in the distance, the wind blowed, tuning a beutiful song and the soft noise of the lake's waves kissing the ground slowly. She heard a drop of water tear into the lake with a soft impact, breaking the water into small ripples; she heard a small bird nestle its feathers with a small flutter.

        “Can you hear it, ” May said, “can you hear the birds flutter their wings and the drip drop of water in the lake?” Sister Julia forrowed her eyebrows.

         “You must have more hearing than me my dear May”

        “Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” May questioned. Sister Julia looked at her dearly.        

        “I cannot say May, God always knows, if it's bad he will stricken it, if it's good he will keep it clear” May looked back at the ground confused, she didn´t understand.

        “So it´s good then” May said and Julia smiled.

        “Only you can decide that”

May stood up slowly and walked towards the lake. She knelt down and passed her hand through the lake feeling the soft malleable liquid flow around her hand. She knelt deeper hearing the small sound of a fish swimming nearby. Quickly she swooped her hand and took the fish out of the water, who wriggled for release. Sister Julia soon joined her at the edge of the lake.

        “Sister” May said watching the fishes beautiful scales shine with the sun. “Why am I so different from the rest?” Sister Julia put a hand on her shoulder.

       “May, you´re not different from the rest. God made us to his image, you were made to his image, look” Sister Julia looked in the water and May peeped into the water fearfully. A pale 14 year old girl with green eyes and long auburn hair upto her waist stared back. Sister Julia looked back at May.

         “See, we´re not so different”, she looked back at May and opened her hand slowly were the fish begged for release. “The only thing that makes us different are the gifts God gave to each of us,” May looked back where the fish had been in her hand.

         “You have a great gift, it´s up to you to decide what to do with it, use it wisely”

        “Who am I?” May asked quietly.

        “That is a question only you can answer. May, there is no other person that can know better who you are, but you. For many people this question takes a lifetime to answer”

        “I  don´t have a lifetime” said May, she looked at her hands. She was different she grew quicker than the other children and Julia was the only one that knew that. She had kept her secret so no one would hurt her. Sister Julia faced the lake

        “May you might not have a lifetime here, but you have a lifetime there” she said pointing to the sky. May felt sad, she didn´t want to die, she wanted to be normal, Julia caressed her hand gently trying to sooth her. “May, everything that happens, happens for a reason, there are no accidents. All of us are born with a letter inside us, and only if we are true to ourselves, may we be allowed to read it before we die.”

May sighed looking at the children who laughed happily while chasing ducks.

        "Why was I born? What is my destiny?”

        “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be” May looked at the sun setting down between the trees. Deep inside her she knew she was different. She listening to the soft beating of her own heart, a clock clicking…
and she waited for it
To stop