"I'm not going to sugarcoat anything. People are going to die in this battle, just like they will die in the thousands of towns and villages across Crystallea if Lord Victor emerges victorious. We are the country's largest hope. We are their only hope." Lionel paused for effect, meeting everyone's gazes. "It is a dangerous journey. But if we do this right, we will go down in history as the army of ordinary people from ordinary backgrounds that stopped an ancient evil. Our names and our courageous tale will live on, even if we don't. You have trained well. I believe in every one of you and in your ability to make a difference. You matter. In this battle, everyone plays an important role. Together, we will triumph over evil. Together, we will defeat Lord Victor!"

Lionel pumped his fist into the air, and everyone followed suit, cheering and roaring approval. I admired his way of speaking, how he paused at the right times and altered the volume and speed of his voice to reach the desired effect, and how he stirred up everyone in such a short speech.

I will always remember this day, when the skies were slightly overcast and a cold winter wind blew from the north. All of us were dressed in customized lightweight armor—courtesy of Lionel—and draped in warm fur cloaks. Black combat boots covered our feet. And when we mounted our horses to lead the army into the Northern Mountains, a mixture of emotions swelled up in my chest. It was pride that I've made it this far and with my friends beside me. It was melancholy, knowing that I might not come out alive. It was also resolve, for I was fighting for a noble cause and had no regrets.

We split the soldiers into different groups. One hundred soldiers were staying behind to guard the campsite. As we gradually approach Lord Victor's stronghold, we will leave behind small groups of soldiers—anywhere from five to twenty people—at certain checkpoints to ensure we had a way back. In the end, we will have about two thousand soldiers attacking from four directions, and Lionel's personal soldiers will enter the stronghold with us.

We trudged along on the mountain pass, making slow but steady progress. Lionel and Indigo led the procession, while Rachel and Lucian brought up the rear. That left Aaron and me in the middle, riding along side by side. The first hour or so was easy, with wide and smooth trails. We covered a lot of distance, and everyone was hyped up and full of the excitement of battle.

Then the paths turned narrow and treacherous. Jagged rocks coated the mountain walls, and the ground was littered with pebbles and chunks of rock. The army stretched itself out as we went from having four men to walk side by side to only two. Aaron rode by my side when he could, but at certain parts of the trail we had to ride one behind the other.

Snow began to fall. We all looked up into the sky, watching the snow drift down like feathers. As we ventured farther into the Northern Mountains, the terrain was gradually covered with white and the temperature continued to drop, degree by degree. Our progress slowed dramatically as wagon wheels got stuck in the snow and slipped on patches of ice. Even I was feeling the coldness, despite having a thick fur coat.

Still we trotted on, following Lionel and Indigo's lead. It was a world of white, and we were lost within it. Everything was quiet except for the sounds of wagons and footsteps. It was as if we were the only ones alive. We took another turn, and the path widened again. I wondered if anyone else besides Lord Victor ever lived inside the Northern Mountains. Probably not.

"Your hair is white." Aaron's horse pulled up beside me, and he tilted his head to look at me. I put my hand to my hair and felt icy coldness. Shaking my head from side to side brought down a shower of snowflakes.

Our horses drew close together. Aaron reached out and gently lifted the hood of my cloak over my head, enveloping my head with warmth. "There. Now snow won't get into your hair."