Chapter 13

After getting off of the plane, we get in a limo to take us to the hotel. I decide to take a separate bedroom for obvious reasons. This new lifestyle is everything I've ever dreamed of but I know deep down it's wrong.

"It's a shame we won't be sharing a room, love" John says to me as his men drop my bags off to my room. I just shake my head at him.

"Get dressed and meet me in the lobby in 30 minutes. Let's get this meeting over with so we can get to the fun parts of the trip." He says, although I hope he isn't insinuating anything inappropriate.   

"Absolutely, boss. I'll see you in half an hour in the lobby."

I quickly unpack my makeup and toiletries so that I can freshen up before the meeting. I was wearing a business casual black dress but I do need to change. I unpack my suitcase and decide on a beautiful light pink dress that John has bought. I put on white heels and a necklace.

Time goes by quickly and after fixing my eyeliner and spraying my perfume, I head down to the lobby.

John is already in the limo when I get downstairs. He doesn't like to stay in public areas for long because of how people react to celebrities.

His men lead me to the limo and I climb in the back with him. The other men follow us in a separate limo.

"Listen," he says, "when we get there I don't want you to speak at all. Just sit next to me and take notes over the meeting. Write down anything said, reactions, that sort of thing. This is very important. It's very hard at the top and I need to make sure I'm doing the best possible."

He looks at me intensely while giving his work commands. I nod and tell him that I will do my best to capture everything that happens in the meeting. I've never seen anyone so invested in their job and so cynical that they aren't doing enough.

"You're too hard on yourself, John. Everything you do and everything you're working towards right now shows how much you care about your people and this country. You are doing a great job and you deserve to know it. I know with fame you have a lot of enemies and people who want to tear you down. You just have to stay true to yourself and you will do just fine." I felt the need to cheer him up before this meeting, he's always down on himself.

He looked at me in disbelief. "Thank you for that. Sometimes I just get so caught up in the dark side of politics and it can be overwhelming. Some people have the worst intentions."

It felt good to be having a serious conversation with him, without any flirting or awkwardness.

"Look, John. The world is a very messed up place but that doesn't mean we can give up and let it all go to waste. I've seen the programs you're working on, the things you want to do, and the plans you have for this country. I think it's all very beautiful and I admire your work."

He smiled at me. "You've been keeping an eye on my politics?"

I blushed, unintentionally. "Of course, it's our duty as citizens to keep informed on the status of our nation's politics. I work in Washington, how am I not supposed to keep an eye on what's happening?"

"That's very fair. I love to see young people with a passion for all of this." He says.

"I took some college courses before I moved here in History and Political Science. I would love to be more educated on the world. I know you're a very intelligent man. I don't understand how I even qualified for a job like this solely on a business man's recommendation." I say, putting my head down a little in embarrassment.

He did call me young and it's true. I'm only 19 and I'm working for the John Kennedy, without any education higher than a high school degree and a few college credits.

He noticed my embarrassment and grabbed my face with his heads. I was looking at the floor of the limo but now our eyes were meeting.

"Don't underestimate yourself. You're much smarter than you think. I did do well in college, but you will too. I'll give Georgetown a call tomorrow and see if we can start the process of getting you enrolled. You can take some paid classes while you work for me."

I didn't understand why he kept throwing money and things at me. I really wasn't comfortable before, and now was no different.

"John, I appreciate all of this. It's not me though. I'm not the one you're looking for. You don't want to do this with me. I don't want the apartment, the car, the college classes unless I know that I earned it. I'll always felt in debt to you and I don't like that." I had to be honest.

His face looked indifferent. "We've already gone over this. I'm not taking anything back. In my opinion you are earning it everyday. I know your salary and I just want to give you everything you truly deserve."

I shook my head still. "You don't know me, though. How would you know what I deserve? I could be a terrible person for all you know."

He laughed. "But you aren't. I can tell when I see another burdened soul. It's lonely at the top and I feel it everyday. I know you feel just as lonely as I do. I can see it in your eyes. Eyes never lie."

It was true. I felt like I had no one and nothing (aside from what he had given me). My relationship with my family was rocky and I had more friends in Connecticut, but here I am alone.

How could he read me so easily without even knowing?

I stayed silent because I knew he was right. "Fine. I do the things you gave me but I will work anytime you need or overtime to make up for it. You can just take a certain amount from each paycheck too."

He laughed again. "A very generous offer but it means a lot more to you than it does to me. Just enjoy it. Don't worry about paying me back. If it's a huge deal for you I'll take 10% of each paycheck until the balance is covered."

Finally. "Oh, please do. I can't live with myself if I don't." I didn't like where our relationship was headed. It needed to be strictly business, not him buying me things all of the time.

"You've got it, doll." He says and the limo slows to a stop. "I think we have arrived."

We head into a huge and beautiful building and take an elevator to the meeting.

The meeting takes around two and a half hours and I do my best to write down everything that happens.  I carry a chic suitcase with important papers and files for the President. Once I put my notes in and we shake hands with the other men attending, it's time to leave.

I know we will have multiple meetings on this trip but if feels good to have one of them knocked out. I've never been to New York before so I am excited to explore the city.

We get back to the hotel and John says he has to make some personal calls. I have a schedule of everything we have to do on the trip and this was the only meeting for today. I sigh in relief and decide to shower and get ready before I explore the city.

I don't know my way around but we are staying in the Upper East side, so I just plan to walk around a little and then take a taxi around the important parts of the city. I'm not sure what John's plans are for the day but I'm not scheduled to work again until tomorrow morning so I plan a day for myself.

After getting ready, I head out to discover all the "Big Apple" has to offer. I spend the day visiting stores, going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, visiting Greenwich Village, and doing a tour of the Statue of Liberty. By the time I get done with sight-seeing I realize I'm starving and stop at a restaurant to eat. I catch a cab to the hotel and ask the driver for the time. He's says "11:30." I can't believe it took that long.

I go up to my room and change into a gown. Then, suddenly, I hear a knock on my door.