Chapter 6

I wake up the next morning with too much running through my head. I get up and get ready for the day, keeping in mind that I need to move into the apartment and do some shopping. I grab the few bags of clothes that I have and call a taxi.

Within 10 minutes of waiting I get a call up to my room that the taxi has arrived. I get in and hand the driver the address and his eyes turn really big when he sees it.

"Well, well, this sure is a nice place." He says and smiles at the paper before he starts driving.

I smile to myself as we pass the busy traffic and monuments.

"How far away is it?" I ask the driver.

"Oh it's not very far, not very far at all, miss." He says and smiles again.

Soon we pull up to a tall brick building with a sign that says "Olympia" out front.

"Here we are, ma'm. The paper says you're all the way on the top floor, room 67." The driver hands me the paper back and I thank him and pay him before getting out.

I walk up to the door with my bags in hand and ring the bell for assistance. I just want to make sure that this is actually real and I'm not dreaming.

"Yes, dear?" A brunette woman with soft eyes asks, coming around the corner to meet me at the desk.

"I'm supposed to have an apartment here. I'm not sure what name it's under."

"Well let's just see." She says with a slight southern accent. She looks down at a piece of paper.

"Ah, you must be Scarlett." She looks up at me to confirm. I nod my head and  she smiles big. "Looks like you own the apartment. It's no longer part of Olympia, and there's no rent. A man came through and purchased our best."

"I own it?" I ask, still in shock. I figured he would just pay the first months rent or something.

"Yes, ma'am you sure do." She says and I start to laugh. This surely is a dream. The president of the United States bought an apartment for me?

"Are you alright, Scarlett?" She looks at me with her gentle eyes full of concern.

"I'm perfect." I say and stop laughing. She smiles at me and offers to walk me up to my room.

When we finally reach the top floor I'm in awe of the beautiful building. We stop in front of room 67 and I pull the key he gave me out of my purse. As soon as I open the door my mouth drops.

The apartment opens up and the living room is the first room we are in. It is very large, probably larger than the one at my house back home. The furniture is exactly what I would have picked. It's classy looking but cozy at the same time.

"Here, let me show you the rest." The woman says and I nod.

We start to walk until we reach the next room, which is the kitchen. It is also very large with all white cabinets and a large island in the middle. I walk over to the cabinets and open one up to see that there are already dishes here, too. He left really nice China. All of the appliances needed to cook are here too. I open the ice box to see that I already have all the food that I need. John really over did it. We move on to the bathroom that also has every thing I need in it. There is a large claw foot bath tub. He bought my soap, shampoo and everything. I could never repay him for all of this. I turn to ask the woman a question and realize that she never told me her name.

"What's your name?" I ask her.

"Penny. Penny Lou Walters." She says and smiles at me.

"Where's the bedroom, Penny?" I ask.

"This way." We walk down a hallway and I notice 3 closed doors.

She opens the first one. "This one is a guest bedroom." She says and walks into the room and I follow her. There is a simple full bed and a night stand, along with some decor.

"I love this place so much." I say and smile. We go into the next room that is an office. When we reach the last room in the hall I gasp. There is a large window right next to the bed that looks over what looks like the whole city. The wall behind my bed is red brick and the floors are hard wood. There is a large walk in closet and when I open it I want to fall over. John bought me clothes. Tons of clothes. There have to be at least 40 dresses and skirts alone. The bottom of the closet is lined in different colors of heels.

"Who bought you all of this?" Penny asks me.

"A friend." I say being cautious.

"He must be a really good friend." She says and smirks. I smile really big and jump onto the bed.

"I'm in heaven." I say and she laughs. I love this apartment and everything in it but I really can't accept it. This is far too much for me. I make a mental note to call him later.

"Do you want to stay for coffee?" I ask Penny. She nods and we walk back into the kitchen. She sits on one of the bar stools at the island and I go around to find the stuff to make it. Once the pot is  done I pour us both a cup and join her on one of the bar stools.

"Thank you." She says and takes a small sip. I nod and take a drink myself.

"So who is this guy really? Is he a gangster? Part of the mob?" She says and we both start to laugh.

"No really!" She continues, "I don't know anyone who would have enough money to buy this place AND be able to buy you a whole new closet of clothes and shoes, not to mention the car out front." She says with wide eyes.

"Car out front?" I ask nervously. There is no way he bought me a car.

"Yeah, someone dropped it off this morning and put me under strict orders to make sure you found it." She says and laughs.

I just look down into my coffee and sigh. I have to return it. There is no way I'm keeping it.

"Whoever this man is you better keep him." Penny grins. "Come on, at least look at it."

We stand up and go back down. She walks me out to the car and once again I'm in shock.

It's a turquoise 1960 Impala. This had to have cost a lot considering its a new model and a brand new car. I open the driver's door and find a note in the seat.
It reads:
"It was a necessity, I had to make sure you could get back and forth to work.

Love, J"

I hold the note in my hand before throwing it into the back seat.

"Let's take it for a test drive!" Penny yells and we both get in.