Chapter 28

We set off from Wessex early in the morning

We set off from Wessex early in the morning. It was a long trek from there to York but I wouldn't have wanted it any differently. I'd always enjoyed travelling and, at this precise moment, a long route march across the country was exactly what I needed.

It was a beautiful day. The sun was glowing and filling the world with a rich golden gleam. Birds fluttered over head and there was a gentle breeze to stop the heat from being overwhelming. I listened to the sounds that were coming from around me but mainly just walked along in a world of my own. I'd always been one for living in my own head. Sometimes I would get stuck there and forget to focus on reality.

"Signy!" Kari broke me out of my thoughts with her cheery voice. I turned to her, eyebrow raised, and awaiting a response. She rapidly got the hint and began to speak, "I was wondering whether I could join you today. I don't want to just be left on the hillside again."

"Have you improved your fighting?" Was all I said.

"Yes. Besides, even if I hadn't, you couldn't stop me from going!" She protested.

"You're right, you're not here as part of my forces. I can't stop you... But Ubbe can." I answered with a calm shrug. I earnt a loud groan from my sister in return as she seethed over my words.

"I can what?" Ubbe joined the end of our conversation.

"You can talk some sense into your wife before she gets herself killed." I responded before marching forwards and leaving the pair behind me.

I continued onwards until I reached Hvitserk who was paying close attention to his surroundings as everyone else just walked on.

"You not enjoying the stroll?" I grinned.

Hvitserk only rolled his eyes at me before speaking, "I would be if Ivar hadn't charged me with 'Saxon watching'."

"It's better than babysitting my sister like I've left Ubbe to do." I replied cheerily.

"There was a time where you would have hated those two being so close." He observed.

"There was, but since I've seen what awful people there are in this world... I'm just glad she has someone decent. I'm glad she met someone like Ubbe." I replied. "Never tell him I said that though."

"Your secret is safe with me." He replied with that usual mischievous grin.

When the two of us were younger, Hvitserk was always a trouble causer. I was a good child but no one ever knew that since I was always dragged into the foolish situations that Hvitserk would get himself and his brothers into. Thankfully, he had Ubbe to be more responsible. However that didn't always help as much as one would hope since Ubbe could often be just as bad. And, when Hvitserk really wanted to do something stupid, not even the Gods could stop him. I, sadly, was always convinced to follow along by that mischievous grin that he always pulled.

It was then that I noticed Ivar just behind us in his chariot. Hvitserk followed my gaze to his younger brother and continued following the task that he'd been set.

I walked beside Ivar's chariot and smiled gently, noticing the scowl that was set upon his face.

"Ivar, why are you mad?" I questioned softly.

"I'm not." He answered in a less than convincing way.

"Could you tell that to your face?" I spoke again.

It was then that Ivar looked over at me with a frown. "Maybe you would prefer to talk to Hvitserk then." He answered childishly.

To this, I couldn't help but laugh. It likely wasn't the best thing to do at the time but between Ivar's ridiculous paranoia and the tone in which he spoke, I couldn't help myself. This only made Ivar glare at me again however.

"You're jealous of your brother?" I questioned as my laughter died down.

"I'm not jealous." He answered, again sounding like a child.

I smiled gently up at him again before speaking, "Good because you have no reason to be. Hvitserk is like my brother."

I could see Ivar's face soften slightly at this. He didn't say anything but I could see the effect of my words. Sometimes I truly worried about him, the fact that he would think the worst of everyone and everything. One day, it was bound to be his downfall.