Chapter 5

"Signy?" I heard Ubbe call as I rushed through the streets with Kari

"Signy?" I heard Ubbe call as I rushed through the streets with Kari. I was shaking from the cold by now and my body was aching. I was tired. I wasn't sure how much longer I could walk.

"Ubbe." I greeted with the best smile I could muster. Clearly, it wasn't convincing enough. He looked down at Kari was still shaking and crying.

"What's wrong?" He asked gently.

"Nothing." I answered. I didn't want them involved. As kind as Ubbe was, I knew the outcome of him finding out was Ivar finding out. I didn't want that. "My sister and her mother aren't in the best place right now, I'm trying to find a place for her to stay."

"She can stay with us." He answered, giving a reassuring smile to the young blonde in my arms.

"Ubbe I couldn't ask that-" I pleaded but was cut off by him speaking again.

"Signy, it's no trouble. Just let the poor girl rest, she looks like she's been through an ordeal."He sighed.

I nodded gently and followed as Ubbe led the way back to the great hall. I gently held onto Kari's hand not wishing to let go for fear that the fragile girl could break if I did. I knew it was stupid but, as it stood, I was completely consumed by protecting the young woman.

"Signy?" Hvitserk looked at the three of us as we entered the hall. Soon all eyes of the brothers were on us and I stood there silently just holding onto Kari's hand. She gave a small smile back to me, telling me I could let go, as she followed Ubbe to go and sit next to the fire. "What happened?" Hvitserk soon followed up.

"Signy just saved my life." Kari chuckled, her familiarly warm persona showing once more. I smiled at the sound of her sweet laugh, she was still such an innocent girl. A sensitive girl. The kind of girl I could never be.

The brothers all soon looked at me, wide eyes as they stared. I gave a nervous smile and shook my head, "don't be so dramatic, Kari."

"What happened?" All four boys asked in unison.

Before I could speak to come up with a lie, Kari was already telling them half of the truth. I always thought she was incapable of lying. Perhaps I'd been wrong, "My mother gambled me away to some Earl that we don't even know. They said that if I didn't agree to marriage, they'd kill my mother and take me as a slave. Signy overheard and came to help me. She made a deal with them and saved me."

The brothers all listened to Kari's sweet words, staring at me. Their gazes unnerved me so I simply looked to the ground to avoid them.

"And what did you agree to give them instead?" Ivar asked, his eyes narrowed. Of course he was going to pick up on that.

"Nothing of great importance." I smiled, giving a small shrug. I wasn't lying to them. I was not of great importance. I was of humble origins. I was not a princess or the daughter of an Earl. I was an orphan, a nobody. Not even a true shieldmaiden yet as I'd never been into battle. Luckily, they accepted my answer and offered for me to stay a while with my sister. I declined. Helga would go mad if I wasn't home soon, that much I knew. More importantly, I could now feel the swell of emotions that threatened to drown me. I could not make that visible to them. I quickly made my way outside, rushing out and leaning my head against the wall. My hand reached up to my lips to muffle the small sobs that crept out into the darkness. Tears now filled my eyes as the realization of what I'd done just dawned on me. I'd just signed my life away to some unknown man. I was his property now. All of my dreams, my aspirations, my future, meant nothing now. Perhaps what the seer was saying had come to pass. I was soon to be wife of an Earl, increasing my status, and it was in fact intertwined with my sister. Perhaps this was just the start of my life. Or perhaps the seer was wrong. Perhaps now I could never be the great shieldmaiden that I yearned to be. My thoughts were cut short by the sound of Ivar dragging himself across the floor. He looked up at me, his blue eyes clouded with concern as I rapidly wiped away my tears.

"Why are you crying?" He asked gently.

I gave a short smile, "You're seeing things, boneless. I was not crying. I don't cry."

Ivar rolled his eyes at me, "Signy."

"It's just been a long day, that's all." I sighed, slumping down to sit in the dirt beside Ivar. My back pressed against the strong walls behind me. Ivar crawled closer to sit next to me, he pulled my hand into his and gave me a small smile. "What would you do if I disappeared?" I asked suddenly. The comforting silence that surrounded us shattered in an instant.
Ivar looked up at me, one brow raised, "You're not leaving, are you?"

"It's a hypothetical question, Ivar." I chuckled. I wanted to scream out that I was leaving. Tell him that I wished there was another way. Hug him and explain that I wanted nothing more than to stay by his side for the rest of time. But I couldn't. I couldn't say a word. I just kept silent, awaiting his response.

"I'd find you and I'd kill whoever took you away." He answered without a moments thought, his voice very sure.

"And if no one had taken me? If I had just left." I smiled, musing.

"Then I'm not sure I could ever forgive myself for not being good enough for you." He answered honestly. I looked to him in shock. Would he really blame himself?

"Not everything is your fault, Ivar. I hope you know that I'd never just leave you if I had the choice to stay." I sighed, my hand gently holding his now.

"Good. Then don't." He said finally. I gave a small smile before gently resting my head on his shoulder.