Chapter Forty-Four

Disclaimer: All characters are not mine. No copyright infringement was intended. Thank you to Stephenie Meyer for creating Edward and Bella for our enjoyment. I just like playing with them, making them my own ... even for just a little while.

Up next is Masen and more conversations with the Queen Mother. She's on my shit list, just saying ... We're going back to Carlisle and Esme's arrival, a conversation with his family, a press conference and up to Bella's knee surgery.

Chapter Forty-Four

Masen

I was sitting next to Bella. She was sleeping uncomfortably. I was waiting for my parents to arrive. Seth had called me when he'd picked up my parents at the airport. With another security detail from diplomatic security, they were driving to Rochester.

"Your Highness?"

I looked up and saw a woman, wearing a black pant suit and a concerned smile. "May I help you?" I asked.

"I'm the mayor of Rochester, Mayor Warren," she said, bowing uncomfortably. "On behalf of the city and state of New York, I'm so sorry for what happened to your fiancée and head of security."

"Thank you for your apologies. However, it does little to assuage my fears and concerns about the cause," I snapped. "I appreciate the visit, Mayor Warren, but I'm not at liberty to discuss this until I've spoken to my attorney and my family."

"Understandable," she murmured. "I just wanted to let you know that we are handling an investigation into what happened. All of the reporters involved have been sanctioned and have been fired from the publications. Additionally, criminal charges are being brought forth against the monsters who caused the accident. All medical expenses are being covered by the city."

I pursed my lips, nodded curtly. "For both Jacob and Isabella? Plus, any other expenses due to the cost of the accident?" I asked.

"Of course," Mayor Warren nodded. "We've also posted extra security around the hospital and increased police patrols around the hospital and at the hotel where they are staying. Again, my apologies and we'll do everything to right this wrong."

I gave her a terse smile, turning back to Bella and effectively dismissing the mayor. She left and I stayed until my cell phone rang in my pocket. Charlie shuffled into the room, sipping some soda and settling into the recliner. "Dinner okay?" I asked.

"It's hospital food," Charlie snickered. "She still asleep?"

"Yeah," I said. "Look, I need to step out. My parents are here." I held up my phone, showing a text from Seth. Charlie nodded and I kissed Bella's forehead. "You have my number, right?"

"I do," Charlie replied. "I'll sit with her. Leah and Seth also said they'd take turns, too. Just in case I get too tired. Good luck with your family."

"I'm going to need it," I snorted. With another wistful look to Bella, I left her room. In the waiting room, I was greeted by one of Jake's colleagues from the FBI, a tall man, Sam. We shook hands and he led me to the back entrance of the hospital. We weren't taking any chances with paparazzi, even though they'd been forced off the hospital grounds. "Sam, do you know any more as to what happened?"

"We have the security tapes and we're looking into it. I'm heading up the investigation, working with the Rochester police department. We've got everyone who worked on the floor where Bella and Jake were staying, helping Rosalie Hale ... Could she be involved? Could she have sold the story? She's ..."

"Not a person of interest. She was admitted to the hospital to give birth to a baby girl," I answered. "She was raped, quite brutally, and a baby was conceived that night. Bella and Rose became friends. Rose is also very important to my brother. She'd never do this. She's barely able to function, let alone be a mastermind behind this situation."