Chapter Ten

Disclaimer: All characters are not mine. No copyright infringement was intended. Thank you to Stephenie Meyers for creating Edward and Bella for our enjoyment. I just like playing with them, making them my own ... even for just a little while.

Oh, Bella ... I'm sorry that I'm torturing you so. I promise, you will have a knight in shining armor ... or a prince! He already has deep feelings for you, girl!

We're going back to Masen next chapter ... he's going to do something about that lock and talk to Charlie about the charity event. Will she go? Won't she? And who wants to tar and feather Alice? What. A. Bitch!

Chapter Ten

Masen

I didn't have anything planned on Thursday, the day after my date with Bella. I called my family, checking in with my mother and telling her about my diplomatic dealings, party plans, and discussions with United States officials about a trade agreement, which were still in the planning stages. I also spoke briefly with my father, asking how Emmett was doing. As far as we knew, he was headlong in detox, and was a complete mess. He'd been checked into Four Circles under an assumed name, but I knew that it wouldn't be long before the paparazzi found out about Emmett's drug problem and his time at the rehabilitation center. I prayed it was later rather sooner, but it was an inevitablity. I already had a statement drafted for when that situation arose, ready to send and to cover our asses.

By mid-afternoon, I was chomping at the bit, bored out of my mind and anxious to see my beautiful Bella. I had a name of a locksmith to repair the doorway of the bakery, but Jake could do the work since he was so handy. I didn't need to run background checks on him and I definitely trusted him. So, I finally stomped into Jake's room, eager to see the girl who was consuming my every thought. He didn't seem surprised when I requested, "Car, please?"

"Brooklyn, I assume," he deadpanned. I arched a deadly, royal brow. "Dude, you're so whipped."

"So, are you," I quipped back, tossing him the keys. "What wouldn't you do for Leah? Hmmmm? And if there was something, anything that prevented Leah's safety, you'd fix it, right?"

"Okay, I'll admit, that door is pissing me off. Come on. I'll fix it. Heaven forbid we get your royal hands dirty," Jake said, walking over to his closet and pulling out a huge toolbox. I grinned happily. "Along with being your driver, I'm also your handyman. We just need to stop at a store to pick up a new doorknob. The things I do for your royal ass." He rolled his eyes dramatically, but his smile was apparent.

"Jake, you're awesome," I beamed.

"Name your first kid after me, your princeliship," Jake snickered. I scowled at Jake and he just laughed. "Let's go."

We rode down to the garage, clambering into the car. It was dreary today, colder and rainy. I shivered in my jacket as we drove to Brooklyn and parked across the street from the bakery. We walked inside, finding it nearly empty. Bella was sitting at a table, her head buried over some ledger books, wearing the most adorable pair of glasses, while Charlie was flipping through a ragged notebook, seemingly a book of recipes. I cleared my throat and Bella looked up, her eyes twinkling and a smile spreading over her haggard face.

Did she sleep at all last night?

"Masen," she breathed, removing her glasses, getting up and smoothing her clothing. She wore a loose, men's button-down and some leggings. The possessive asshole in me got upset at seeing her in another man's clothes, but I noticed it was older and close to Charlie's size. I walked over to her, hugging her tightly. I could feel the tension in her muscles and she clung to me. "This is a pleasant surprise," she whispered, her voice shaking and sad.