Chapter 17: Bianca

Ok, so after my little incident with Clarisse in the armory, Jo and Leo thought it would be a brilliant idea to run me up to the Big House to speak with Chiron. Yeppie!

        Leo told Chiron everything that happened in pants causing Jo to laugh and me to keep my gaze on the wooden floor of the Big House. I already felt enough like a freak without having my hand burst into black flames. Now I’m going to be an outcast in the one place that I thought I would finally fit in.  

        Once Leo had stopped talking and was beginning to breathe normally again, Chiron told the two of them to go back to lessons then told me to follow him.

        We left Jo and Leo on the porch of the Big House as we made our way towards the Pegasus stable. When we entered, most of the Pegasus were out and being used in lessons except for one that was hiding in the back of his pen. Chiron waved me towards the white Pegasus.

        “Bianca, could you please get this Pegasus to come out?” He asked me.

        Wanting to get this over with already, I nodded, without asking any questions. As I approached the startled creature in the pen, it cowered farther into the corner.

        “Shhh, it’s okay.” I whispered to the winged horse, “I’m not going to hurt you. There’s no need to be afraid.” As soon as those words left my mouth I felt a dark force pass through me and then into the ground. I think it came from the horse.    

        The white creature then began to come out of the corner and towards me, interrupting my thoughts over what just happened. I stroked his mane and led him out towards Chiron, who was looking even more confused.

        “What?” I asked.

        “Nothing I just can’t seem to place you.” He said. “It’s just, you know how to heal better than the Apollo campers. Plus when it comes to archery, you are one of the best that I’ve ever seen. But, you have the brain of an Athena camper. You were able to get the most terrified Pegasus to come out of its pen, and the only other person who can do that is Percy, son of Poseidon. Then you have the firepower, like a small few of the Hephaestus campers.”

        He then began to mutter quietly to himself. “I’m sorry, what was that?” I asked him when I heard him say dark clothing.

        “Oh, nothing. Please tell no one of what I just said. It might cause some arguments between campers.” He asked me, but it seemed to be more of a demand.

        The conch shell blew in the distance, and we headed back to the pavilion in silence. When we got to the pavilion, I had my head bowed with my hood up; out of the corner of my eye I saw Jo watching me and it looked like she was about to come over, but Chiron then glanced at her and she stayed seated.

        After dinner, we all headed over to the amphitheater for the sing-along. When we arrived there, I didn’t see Jo anywhere, and to be honest I was a little thankful for that. I didn’t want to tell her about what happened with Chiron, she'd only make it harder to deal with.

        Jo would think it’s so cool. Like, hey you have all these awesome new powers to hurt people with. She won’t understand how I’m feeling. She does not know what it’s like to bounce from foster home to foster home, where no one ever keeps you for more than a few months. And after trying to explain to her what it was like she would then just feel sorry for me. The last thing I need right now is more sympathy.

        Not wanting to be labeled as the weird girl who has no friends, I quickly found Leo and sat down next to him. At least he knows what it’s like to be in the system.