Chapter Twenty-Eight

Wolf leaped through the broken glass panes on a door. He felt Breqlynn slip further away. The pads of his feet skidded across the broken floor as he stopped to find his bearings. Aeddon flew in after him and transmorphed.

"This way," the witch directed and fast-walked toward a long, dark hall.

An orb of fire suddenly floated in the air above them. As the shadows retreated, vampires were revealed. They dropped from what was left of the ceiling and peeled off the walls. There were only five of them. Enough to slow Wolfrick and Aeddon down, preventing him from reaching his witch.

Behind them, another figure emerged. Stavros. Wolf's lip curled as he snarled.

"So good of you to join us," Nikos taunted. "Breqlynn will be so happy to see you."

Wolfrick didn't like the familiar way Stavros spoke his mate's name. Especially after she'd been his victim for over half an hour. He'd felt everything the demonic bastard had put her through. The low rumble deep in his throat and the baring of his teeth told Stavros what Wolf thought of him.

In front of him, Aeddon let loose a string of curses that would have made even Breqlynn blush. Her father wasn't happy with the man either.

Briefly, Wolfrick wondered when the daemon had made the transformation to vampire. It had to have been sometime after they'd repaired Breqlynn's office. He'd been fine yesterday, but Wolf noticed a change at the party. Nikos smelled...wrong.

None of that mattered. The only thing that did was finding Wolfrick's mate. He felt Breq was fading fast. Aeddon was still impugning the vampire's parentage when Wolf lunged. The smile on the one-time daemon's face cleared as his wolf's teeth took the throat out of one of his subordinates.

"Playtime is over." Stavros gave two, sharp claps and all the vamps moved as one.

Aeddon's fire took out one more before the remaining trio were on them. Through the flicker of flames, Wolfrick saw their leader laugh. It was an unsettling sight with his distorted, demonic features.

"I've timed this just right. Soon, your bitch will be dead, and she'll take you with her."

In the blink of an eye Stavros was gone, leaving them to deal with his lackeys. Senses on high alert, Wolf engaged the vampire who came at him. He didn't know where their leader disappeared to, but he wasn't ruling out Nikos reappearing at an inopportune time.

With a paw the size of a saucer, Wolfrick swiped the leaping vamp out of the air. It hit the ground hard, landing on its belly. With the wind knocked out of it, the demonic creature was momentarily stunned. His jaws clamped around the back of its neck. By the time his head lifted, it was nearly decapitated. The demon spawn no longer breathed. That was all that mattered.

"Go," Aeddon urged Wolf. The male witch was exhausted. "I've got this." The words contradicted what Wolfrick's eyes were telling him.

Pausing, Wolf was momentarily torn. If anything happened to the only father Breqlynn knew, she'd gut him. Then again, his people would soon be there to give aid.

Save Mate, Wolfrick's beast urged.

Mind made up, Wolf sped past Aeddon and the remaining two vampires, letting his witch's bond guide him.

"Drop your elements," Wolfrick heard a female say in a guttural, yet commanding tone.

"Fuck that noise," Aeddon responded a la Breq.

A snarl worthy of a shifter sounded behind Wolf as the female vampire attacked.

The bond led Wolfrick to a small classroom. His senses deserted him as he paused and took in the scene before him. A split second later, they came flooding back. An overpowering smell of iron mixed with wild flowers and fresh air hit him. Toward the front of the room, his gaze found a bloodbath. In front of the writing board, a figure lay unmoving. Very little of Breqlynn's pale skin was visible through all the red. A pool of her blood was her morbid bed. Her dress was in tatters, barely hanging onto her form. The dark purple material was nearly black as it soaked in her life force. Dark tresses were strewn about her on the floor. She'd been shorn. The blade that'd perpetrated the vile act lie silent beside her.