Chapter Five

"I don't want any more of your torture. I swear you get off on it, Keys."

They'd been testing the bond for nearly a week. Early that first morning, when they'd barely begun their investigation, Breq felt the cursed one's soul flicker. She'd managed to infuse enough of her own through the bond to strengthen it, but it left her drained for two days after.

Her cousin soon found what caused the initial flicker. Aeddon gravely told her all about the new shifter king. It meant Wolfrick Jaeger was now a royal pain in Breqlynn's ass.

Griffin was laying low and not answering Breq's calls. The asshat had gone so far as to disconnect his number. Meanwhile, Keilynn and Aeddon experimented on the artifact, on the bond and on her.

"So, you want to keep your bond with the cursed one?" Aeddon asked.

Breqlynn pouted. "Why would you say something so mean, Aed?"

"Well, he is hot." Keilynn pointed out unhelpfully.

"How about we find a way to transfer the bond to you instead?" Breqlynn responded, driving down the unaccounted-for surge of jealousy she felt at her sister's words.

Keilynn shrugged. She'd never quite understood the animosity between the races. Breq's twin felt that what happened ages ago, between those no longer alive, shouldn't be held against those who were.

"I just wanted to test your bond with aether and see if there's a way to unravel it with my magic. It makes sense that aether would be the main...glue in a bond between two souls," Keys said.

Breqlynn sighed. "Fine. But I warn you; if it starts to hurt like your other experiments, I'm going to punch you. Hard."

Her sister shrugged again and pulled Breq's neckline low enough to bare the magical brand. The raven ruffled its feathers, then settled to stillness. "I wonder what shape my bond will take," Keilynn mused as she studied the dark image.

Without another word, Breqlynn's twin pooled her aether within, then fed a steady stream into the bond. It seemed her sister's magic decided to cooperate today. With it, Keilynn felt along the bond's invisible length, then frowned. "He seems closer than he was before."

"Yeah, I know he's close." The first time Breq felt Jaeger in town was earlier in the week. "But the cursed one hasn't moved much, so I didn't think to mention it."

"Breq, how can I guard you if you don't inform me of these changes?" Aeddon all but yelled at her.

Male witches were the protectors of their race. The women led, but almost always had a man close enough as a safeguard. It was usually their destined one, but until such a person was found, close male relatives stepped into the role. Aeddon took his duties more seriously than most. He was the last remaining Darkin male in charge of protecting the last two female Darkins. Without Breq and her twin, their family name would die out and cease to exist.

"Sorry, Aed. It's no big deal. Really," Breqlynn urged when her cousin shot her a look. "The wolf knows he cannot harm me by now without harming himself."

Keilynn remained silent as she studied the bond. The poking and prodding caused Breq to gasp. Then as promised, she punched her twin in the shoulder. Hard.

Scowling and rubbing her shoulder, Keilynn withdrew.

"I did warn you," Breqlynn mumbled.

"You could have said something instead." Aeddon didn't look happy. He didn't like to see either harmed, even if they were hurting each other.

"My way was more expedient," Breq pointed out the obvious.

"You're far too violent," Aeddon countered.