Chapter Fourteen

"Let go and I won't be forced to defend myself," Aeddon instructed calmly.

Breqlynn wrapped a towel around herself, then handed one to Wolfrick. Releasing her cousin, he took it and wound it around his hips.

"Explain," Breq ordered Aeddon. Wolfrick's arm snaked around her waist, and he pulled her to his side.

Aed eyed them, a frown creasing his brows. "First, I should tell you about what I found out from the vampire. Well, I didn't find out much from him, per se, but his phone. Turns out the recently deceased demon spawn was a tech-idiot. He didn't have a password protected phone, nor did he delete his texts. The vamp was hired by some guy named Romeo to kill Jaeger. Breq was never the intended target."

"The villain from Shakespeare strikes again," Breqlynn intoned gravely.

Wolf shook his head. Would Breqlynn ever get the Bard right? "I knew I should've killed him when I had the chance."

Breqlynn placed her hand on Wolfrick's chest. "I get first dibs since I was the one who was shot."

Jaeger's hand came up to cover Breq's. "We'll see," he said in a tone that even a child knew meant, "no."

We'll see indeed, wolf.

Aeddon cleared his throat. "Time to tell you the real reason I'm here. You've got a revolt on your hands, Jaeger. It's become common knowledge that you're harboring a witch. Gideon is trying to keep Firsts from storming up here and demanding your head. Or my daughter's," he glowered. "It seems to be a tossup as to who they want to string up first. Gideon called me to fetch Breqlynn."

"Shit," Wolfrick cursed. "How did they find out so quickly?"

A handful of the most powerful Firsts on the council stayed behind in the states to hammer out the details of Wolf's kingship. He'd left them to it in Butte after a week of deadlock and no accord. Instead, he'd tracked down Breqlynn and decided to move next door. Wolf wondered if he'd known even then, deep down that she was his mate.

Regardless of what the council decided; Wolf knew how he wanted to rule as king. He understood what needed to be done to rebuild their numbers. Or, he had before meeting a certain, raven-haired witch. Now his attention was split, and all that would be more difficult to obtain. But he was up to the challenge.

"I'm not sure," Aed answered. "I know Amanda wasn't happy when she found out we were witches. Jonathan was none-too-pleased either. When Keys and I went downstairs, we overheard your Kingsmen discussing the matter. Another blonde woman was there, listening. I think she was also a shifter. When she saw us, she left."

"I bet it was that bitch, Kaylee." Breqlynn was having sweet daydreams of beating the she-wolf's ass. Again.

"It could have been her, or it might not have been. I won't condemn her before I have all the facts." Ignoring his mate's huff, Wolfrick continued. "Her cousin Brice knows about the bond. I have at least one ally among them."

Aeddon straightened from his nonchalant lounge against the doorframe. "It's your mess to clean up, king. Until then, Breqlynn will be safer with me. The very sight of her will set them off. I didn't save her only to have her killed by an angry mob of shifters."

Breq looked up at Wolfrick, a plea in her eyes. "Aeddon has a point. It'd be easier for you to deal with the others if I weren't here."

Scowling down at Breqlynn, Wolf addressed his words to her father. "Give us a minute."

Aeddon was more than a little put out when he said, "Don't take too long." He turned before exiting the bathroom. "If I walk in on what I walked in on, I'm not going to be happy." The warning hung in the air as he left.