Chapter Seventeen

Night had yet to fall. Wolf was in a wooded copse twenty miles out of the reclaimed shifter town of Vârcolac Turn with the rest of the council. The sharp smell of pine was the most prevalent scent, overpowering the aroma of deciduous trees and their dying leaves, moss, and mold. The air was ripe with anticipation as they waited for the full moon to reach its zenith.

Brice, Gideon, and Wolfrick were in a small group away from the others. At least a hundred yards into the woods, his old friend Zehra stood in a sea of male bodies. She'd changed since last he'd visited her. From somewhere deep inside, it seemed she found a confidence she'd previously lacked. It was good to see, even if her newly discovered backbone was causing him some trouble with the other Firsts.

Seeing where Wolf's eyes rested, Everett commented. "I know you and Avci go back a long way, but I don't think she can be trusted."

Wolfrick's sharpened gaze zeroed in on the other man. "You're correct. We've known one another for centuries. I hid her as a child while religious zealots rounded up her family. They were burned - all of them. Even her younger brother, not yet two. They were set alight in the courtyard of their home." Wolf's eyes closed and he sucked in a breath. "I still remember their cries for mercy cut short by screams of terror and pain. Out of seven, I saved one."

Opening his eyes, Wolfrick pinned Brice with his gaze. "She's had a hard life, and I am glad to see she is finally taking control."

An uncle who bore no love for Zehra became the alpha of their pack upon the death of her father. Even as Wolf handed the eleven-year-old child off to the cold man, he'd wondered if the uncle had anything to do with the mass killing. It came as a relief to learn the man had been shot and gutted one, long ago, full moon by hunters. His eldest son became alpha, then First. As far as Wolf knew, the cousin had treated Zehra well.

The old Zehra would never have become alpha of the pack. She wasn't dominant enough, and that may have saved her from her uncle's grab for power. That she became First after her cousin's demise was unheard of; no female had done so in their long history. But she'd fought and won that battle less than five years before. Afterward, Wolfrick heard rumors that she'd reverted to her old nature, that of a hesitant pacifist. There'd been calls for her to step down, but they died a quick - some claimed mysterious - death and her people seemed to now support her wholeheartedly.

When he'd seen Zehra at the final fight for king, Wolfrick took note of her change in demeanor. It was a welcome sight, for she'd grown into her new role. Although she was one of the weakest Firsts on the council, Zehra learned to use bravado to make herself appear stronger.

Wolf didn't miss the look that passed between Gideon and Brice. They thought his sentiment was blinding him to the double-game Zehra played. He was aware of it but was confident that in the end she'd back him and bring her faction with her.

"The time draws near." Wolfrick spoke the words loudly so he could easily be heard. It also signaled to his men that their previous conversation was at an end.

The groups parted, and they began to strip. Zehra wasn't the only female as there were Firsts with their betas, mates, and guards. There were also a handful of older children in their party. Those numbers were fewer as shifters weren't often blessed with children. The single infant and toddler in the region were being watched over by a shaman family.

Still, it was a large congregation of more than one hundred shifters. Wolfrick would lead them all in the hunt tonight. Although there were some questions about his role, he was still their king, the strongest among them.

As always, Wolf's thoughts drifted to Breqlynn. He'd spoken to her less than an hour before when they'd left the compound. She was adamant about him sharing what was happening with the council. She argued that if he wanted her as a mate, he had to open up about what was going on with the Firsts. He had to show he trusted her judgment and would listen to her advice.