"So then, that's a 'yes' to a trip to the gas station to refuel?"

Shooting Amanda the "duh" look, Breqlynn answered succinctly, "Yes."

They drove in silence on the way into town. As they waited for a red light, Amanda asked, "You're an antiquities dealer, Aeddon is a surgeon, but what does your sister do?"

"Keys is a computer programmer. She has her own cybersecurity company and software. She also receives contracts to track down and stop hackers."

The other woman shook her head. "You three have such different careers."

"We do have different interests, but one could argue there is a certain art to what we each do."

Amanda grunted her assent. "What is it you do when you're not stuck babysitting me?" Breqlynn asked as the light turned green.

"I'm between jobs, having only just moved here. I've sort of drifted for the last eighty years."

"Oh? What did you do before? Where have you lived?" Breqlynn turned her head to watch a yellow, converted Humvee pulled by two Tennessee Walking Horses as they passed. There were a couple of passengers within the warm confines. A high, enclosed bench seat, where the hood was initially located, held the driver. It was a Yellowstone County Stagecoach, Billings' quaint taxi service. They were a cheap mode of transportation for those who didn't own a vehicle and had no desire to walk in inclement weather.

Breq gave the driver, encased in a separate compartment with large front and side windows, a wave as they passed. She knew him from the nights she'd been too drunk to drive herself home.

"I was a professor of history at the start. In Limerick."

"There once was a man from Nantucket," Breqlynn began.

Amanda groaned, "Don't."

Breqlynn laughed. "I guess there's not much need for a college professor in a town the size of Billings."

"University," Amanda corrected as she pulled into the parking lot of O'Donnell's Farm and Ranch Supply Store. It was the best place to find all of Kala's pet needs. Breqlynn came here during her flirting period, er mini-war, with Wolfrick. A pang twisted her heart as she thought of the shifter.

"And no, I haven't found much need for a history professor here. My last post was in Flagstaff, Arizona."

"Why did you decide to leave Ireland?" Breqlynn asked as she let Kala out the back. The store was pet-friendly. Across the seats and through the window, Breq didn't miss the shadow that entered Amanda's dark, brown eyes.

"I had trouble with the local pack alpha. Seemed best just to leave. I went to England first, then traveled further afield. I'd already spent too much time in Arizona. Humans were beginning to comment on my never aging. Gideon's call about serving the king came at the perfect time."

Breq sensed the other woman didn't wish to talk about her experience with this Irish alpha. "Does Gideon know of your troubles? Did they have to do with you being a lone wolf within the Irish dude's territory?"

Okay, so maybe Breqlynn's sensitivity toward others could use some work.

Amanda's dark brows furrowed. "I don't believe so. As I understand it, he called all of us loners who he felt would make good Kingsmen."

It didn't escape Breq's notice that her most probing question wasn't answered. Turning over a new leaf of awareness for others' feelings, she decided to let it slide. "And only three of you answered?"

Breqlynn grabbed a cart, and Kala walked tamely down the aisles by her side.

"So far, aye. The others are waiting to see which way the wind will blow before they give up their freedom."