Chapter Sixteen

"That's a feckin' Black Dog." Amanda nearly shouted as soon as she entered the kitchen.

"No shit, Sherlock. Do you think I'm color blind?" Breqlynn asked as she put the cleaned dishes away. Aeddon was already on his way into town. He wasn't happy to have been forced to use her shampoo. She thought he smelled pretty, but he wasn't pleased when she voiced that opinion. Ungrateful, that's what he was. Her cousin needed to get laid - another observation that wasn't well received.

"That's not what I meant," Amanda tried to elaborate.

A low growl came from Kala's throat. She was sitting at Breqlynn's feet, her head the same level as her mistress' waist. "Stop that," Breqlynn commanded and tapped her dog on the nose with a finger.

"You're feckin' insane. You know that, right?"

"And here I thought we were friends again."

"We are," Amanda was quick to assure her. "But Black Dogs are also known as Demon Dogs. The glowing, red eyes are a dead giveaway. And here you are, treating it as if it were a family pet."

Rolling her eyes, Breq shut the upper cabinet. "You and Aeddon and your imaginations."

"I'm not imagining it, and likely neither was your father. Your dog doesn't smell right. It smells like...ozone."

"Whatevs. Kala is not some evil puppy from hell, are you, girl?" Breqlynn ignored the suspicion the she-wolf's words made her feel. Yesterday, Kala hadn't smelled like a wet dog in the tub. She hadn't smelled much like anything other than Aeddon's shampoo.

Kala wagged her tail and licked Breqlynn's fingers. "What car did you drive here?"

"I have my SUV." The black wings of Amanda's brows dipped down in suspicion. "Why do you ask?"

"Because," Breq grabbed her coat, "Kala won't fit in my car."

"You are not putting that hound from hell in my-" Amanda's rant was cut short as Breqlynn practically skipped out the door with her dog on her heels.

"Don't worry. I'm sure Kala doesn't get car sick," Breq told the she-wolf as she opened the back door to the large, silver SUV.

Giving Kala a wary look, Amanda walked to the driver's side of her vehicle. "If you have much running around planned," the she-wolf informed Breqlynn as she sat in the driver's seat, "then I'm going to need to make a stop at the gas station."

Instead of oil-based products, their engines - car, train, and airship - ran on coal gasification and steam. Those who couldn't afford such an elaborate system converted old cars into horse-drawn carriages. They'd take out all the heavy bits, such as engines and other unneeded parts and hitch a horse or mule to the front. It wasn't the best way to travel long distances, however. Trains were the preferred method as the asphalt or concrete interstates and highways were no longer maintained. There wasn't enough manpower or funds to commit to such large projects.

Amanda turned the ignition and the whine of the engine - much like that of a pre-war jet, but on a much softer scale - could be heard before the drivers-side door shut. There were no noxious fumes that'd been found with oil-based fuels, either.

"You shifters need to be more aware of people with normal body temps." Breqlynn shivered and nestled deeper into her coat as they made their way down Aeddon's driveway. "And yes, we do have a lot of errands today. I have to get my new puppy all sorts of things; then I have to replace my father's shower products." She didn't react to the questioning look Amanda threw her at that. "By the time we're finished, we have lunch with Keilynn scheduled."