Chapter Fifteen

It was fully dark by the time Breq returned to Aeddon's house after a late day of work. The office had been eerily quiet as it was the weekend. The feeling of being watched raised her hackles as she left the building.

The house was empty. Aed was at the hospital, picking up extra shifts since he'd taken so many days off to see to Breqlynn's care. Putting away her boots and cold weather gear near the kitchen door, she turned and sighed. The large space's emptiness threatened to close in on her. It'd only been a day since she last saw Wolfrick and already she felt lonely.

Breq raided her cousin's fridge and cooked a meal. After she'd eaten and did the dishes, she looked at the clock to find she'd only killed forty minutes. Aeddon wouldn't be home for hours yet.

Glancing at the television, Breqlynn quickly discarded that idea. Exertion of some type was needed. Thinking of Aeddon's gym in the basement, she found she didn't have the heart for anything too strenuous.

Instead, Breq went back into the kitchen and grabbed her coat and boots - the same ones Wolfrick had returned. Blinking back tears as she laced them, she cursed her pregnancy hormones.

Dressed once more, Breqlynn went outside and walked down the long, dirt road that ran by Aeddon's house. It ended at his neighbor's farm a few miles away. Crisp, cold air filled her lungs and reminded her of her childhood in northern Minnesota.

A nearly full moon and a cloudless sky lit her way. Recent events filled Breq's mind as she trod through the snow. Thanks to Kaylee and her Russian, Breqlynn and her family were outed. No longer could her they hide behind a false name. By now, all within the races knew of their existence as well as their location.

Although Keys and Aed seemed to take it all in stride, it had to cause some alarm. Especially for Keilynn with her aether magic. Breqlynn knew she was more than a little afraid for her twin. Damn the she-wolf and her Russian bastard.

A puff of steam formed in front of Breq's mouth as she exhaled sharply. There was little anyone could do about it now. She had too much to lose with Wolfrick and their children in the picture. No longer could she flee Billings and go into hiding; start fresh with a new life. Nor would her family leave her behind to save their own skins.

Thrusting her shoulders back with determination, Breqlynn thought, We'll just have to change our fates. It was something Jaeger was working toward with the trip to Romania. If he was able to put in the hard work to see that they could be together, then so was she.

Breq's thoughts, as always, turned to the wolf. Was he, at this moment, kicking shifter ass? She would be, were she in his position. But, more likely, Jaeger was being diplomatic.

A short phone call early this morning hadn't been what Breq needed to climb out of this funk. Wolfrick was at the airport, ready to board an airship to leave the country. The council was convening in their capital, a secluded town in Romania named Vârcolac Turn. She'd looked it up on a map put out by a cartographer of the races. It was in the middle of nowhere and unknown to humans. Jaeger didn't know how long he'd be gone.

Again, Breqlynn felt like crying. It'd only been one day since she flew away with Aeddon. It felt like an eternity. In such a short time, she'd come to care for Wolfrick, was already used to his presence in her life. Simply put, she missed her wolf.

Stupid bond, Breq thought without any heat. She was fast beginning to believe the ancient artifact hadn't malfunctioned; that Wolfrick Jaeger was indeed her destined. Oh, how he'd gloat when he heard that!

The smile slipped off Breqlynn's face. As she wouldn't admit it over the phone, there was no telling how long Jaeger would have to go without knowing.