Chapter Thirteen

It felt like Breq was in a sauna located in the bowels of hell. Added to that, her bladder was full. She had to pee.

Breqlynn was slow to wake and found her head tucked beneath Wolfrick's chin. He had her pressed so tightly against him that it felt as if she were bordering on suffocation. The shifter was a self-contained furnace, waves of heat seemed to come off him only to be absorbed by her. Added to that, she was still under the blankets.

Not wanting to disturb Jaeger – he'd worked hard to keep her above ground – Breq eased out of his grip. Still, one green eye popped open.

"I'm just going to pee. Go back to sleep."

The eye closed. Grabbing her phone, Breqlynn went into the bathroom. There, she noticed her soap, shampoo, and other grooming essentials were placed on the counter and in the shower.

As she did her thing on the toilet, Breq saw a few missed calls and texts. There was nothing important that needed her immediate attention. Also, she noted, they'd slept through the night and into the next day. It was nearly eleven in the morning.

As she walked to the sink, Breqlynn felt the freestanding tub calling her. "Let me see if I'm available," she told it as she lifted the oversized tee. In the time she'd slept, her injury had healed entirely. There was only a thin line of old blood covering the spot. Those cursed, black tendrils were gone.

Giddy, Breqlynn searched for her bubble bath. It was under the sink. She made a mental note to find out who'd brought over her things and to thank them.

Turning on the tap, Breq impatiently waited for the water to run hot while she brushed her teeth. That done, she put in the stop, added some cold water to the mix and put in the bubble bath. Quickly washing her hair and body in the shower, she went back to the tub.

It was large and still filling. A moment of hesitation later, Breqlynn slid in and kept the tap running. The water bill would be payback for the toads. She was still pissed about them. Those little shits had created quite a mess.

A half-groan, half-moan escaped Breq as the warm water worked its magic on her tight muscles. She practically melted into the bottom of the tub. The water level was up to her chin, still a few inches from the top of the bathtub. Leaning forward, she turned off the tap. Then laying back, she piled her wet hair on top of her head.

Closing her eyes on a sigh, Breqlynn drifted for a time. Her mind wandered to many topics but never settled on one. It'd been ages since she'd felt so relaxed.

"Need me to wash your back?" The words were spoken low in her ear. They caused her to start.

"I thought you were sleeping." Tilting her head back, Breq looked at Jaeger and felt her loosely piled hair slip free. He was kneeling behind her; hands braced on the lip of the tub on either side. It was more than a little disconcerting that he'd come so close without her noticing.

"I woke up all alone." Wolfrick's lower lip stuck out, and Breq couldn't help but laugh at his pout.

"Poor wolf." Reaching up, Breqlynn patted his cheek, leaving a wet, sudsy handprint behind. He needed a shave. Dark blond stubble had grown since their nap.

"Sit up."

After hesitating a moment, Breq did and looked back over her shoulder. Behind her stood a very naked Wolfrick. Around his upper arms snaked tattoos she knew were for magical protection. His massive chest held more of the same, but these were for power. She wanted to feel that taut skin beneath her hands once more. Seeing him like that sent a jolt of desire through her. He must have felt it because his member stirred to attention.