74: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Start from the beginning

Where was the justice in that? Where was the poetry and sense of irony or whatever that made life mean something, that made the rest of us fight so goddamn hard to keep breathing so we could eat and drink and fuck and laugh and hope to die in our own beds knowing that close by, someone loved us.

All of the emotions I had been bottling up since Jaime's revelation about our abortion, the one I had never had a choice about, all of those emotions came pouring out of me, glad to have a target for the anger that I had been nursing on a slow simmer over the past few months.

I lifted Murray into the air, not bothering to wonder just when I had gotten so damn strong and realized that my fangs had slid into place, no doubt triggered by my rage. I heard Stanley yell something, but I didn't care at that moment. I slammed Murray into the nearest wall, glad to see the terror in his bulging eyes as he clawed at my arm, desperate for breath.

"You're not supposed to kill anyone you fucking idiot!" I yelled at him. "And you're especially not supposed to kill my friends!"

Stanley grabbed me and I turned to him, ready to take him on. What I wasn't ready for was to take on all three of the guys. Benjamin and Frankie piled on and I stumbled back, letting go of Murray.

"Don't let him get away! He's been killing people!" I managed to yell.

Murray wasn't going anywhere. He was on the ground heaving in huge breaths of air, giving me a nasty look.

Benjamin had spotted Meredith in the trunk and his face turned white.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Benjamin whispered and true to his word, he stumbled away to the corner of the parking lot and threw up in the shadows.

I looked at Stanley, expecting him to be reasonable.

"You gonna let me kill him now?" I said. "He deserves to die!"

"Think about what you're saying dude! You're not a killer! None of us are!"

"He's going around killing people and drinking their blood. He thinks he's one of us!"

"I am one of you! We're vampires! Creatures of the night! We kill for blood!" Murray coughed. "Where did you get your teeth done?"

"Shut the fuck up," Frankie snarled and I noticed that he had pulled the phone away from his ear. What the fuck was he doing making a call right now anyway? Come on dude: priorities!

"Stanley, he's already killed three girls," I pleaded. "You gotta let me kill him."

"Have you ever killed anyone before?"

"No, but I'm willing to change that right now."

A voice came from behind us:

"It's messy, it's sad, they shit their pants and you're left with a lifetime of guilt. You don't want that burden. Kinda fucks with your head."

We all turned around, maybe for the first time realizing just how exposed we were. Beatrice turned from looking into the trunk at Meredith and she looked mildly annoyed as she looked up at me and slammed the trunk closed.

"Who the fuck is that?" Murray whispered hoarsely.

"Beatrice..." Stanley and Frankie breathed, completely stealing my thunder. What the fuck man? How did they know Beatrice?

******** AUTHOR'S NOTE **********

The book is now AVAILABLE in Hardcover, Paperback and Ebooks. It's going to live here free on Wattpad, but if you love the story and want to support your awesome author (me), grab a copy from one of the lovely retailers below. Who knows: maybe it can become a bestseller with the help of you lovely WattPadders

Amazon - http://bit.ly/Amazon-SIMBAV

iBooks - http://bit.ly/iBooks-SIMBAV

Barnes & Noble - http://bit.ly/BarnesNoble-SIMBAV

Indigo - http://bit.ly/Indigo-SIMBAV

Check out the website: http://www.bobthevampire.com

com