Long Nights (A Roch and Isabel Fanfiction)

This fanfiction is dedicated to the fearless police officer, Isaac Roch. All he wanted was to protect the city of Elgin from void and cults. In return, he was sacrificed by a crazy cultist to summon a monster worm. The world ended, but our love for Isaac Roch never will.

Tags: JJJ000YYY, KalesReclaim, Bobbi_McAllister, LittleMinx94, IntoTheTempest, cleo_black, InGeeniouscalmwolfThe_Twi1ight_PrincedayworldsBlueFangirlStreak

"One of these days I'm gonna take you out for a proper dinner, Isabel," Roch said after the server had set two plates of tough, overcooked steak and potatoes on the table. "None of this chop-house nonsense."

"And how are you going to afford that on your sorry salary?" Isabel asked as she placed a linen napkin on her lap.

Roch proceeded to saw into the steak on his plate with a grimy knife and fork, causing the rickety table to shake. "I'm serious. I'm gonna take you out for a genuine fancy dinner. No rowdy crowds, no leather disguised as meat, no—" he swatted at a fly buzzing about his head, "—no flies."

Isabel chuckled softly, cutting into a boiled potato. "What, you don't feel the atmosphere here is romantic?"

"We can go to the hotel. I hear they serve desserts that look like works of art. Almost too pretty to eat."

"I don't think any dessert could be pretty enough for me not to eat."

"We can get all gussied up and even check out the theatre. Make a night of it."

She raised her eyebrows. "A whole night?"

Roch's knife slipped and nearly gouged his wrist. Clearing his throat, he gave her a playful smile. "Don't we usually?"

Returning her attention to her meal, Isabel went on. "It sounds lovely, Isaac. Really, it does. But where are you going to find the time and money?"

"I have a savings."

"You need to rest. Look at the bags under your eyes. You've been burning the candle at both ends. It's not good for you."

He laid down his utensils and heaved a sigh. "It's the youth of today. I don't know what's gotten into them. Talking in code, loitering on city property, selling drugs."

"Drugs? You mean like opium? Couldn't they just get it from the local apothecary?"

Roch shook his head and stared down at his meal. "No, something called void. Sounds pretty sinister, if you ask me. I have a suspicion Ambrose is involved."

"But I thought you took him into custody?"

"I did, but it hasn't stopped these bloody kids. And then there're all the charlatans popping up out of nowhere, claiming to be spirits and setting up unauthorized shops. I mean, you've done the paperwork. You've read the details. What's happening to people?"

Isabel gazed off thoughtfully as she chewed. "Maybe I can ask Damon if there's something he can do about it."

With a scoff, Roch resumed hacking away at his steak. "Right, like he'd do anything."

"Come now, Isaac. I know you two have your differences, but—"

"He made us cut back on arrests so he could keep his image nice and shiny for the election. The man has no substance."

"Isaac."

Raising a hand, Roch nodded apologetically. "I know, I know. He's your cousin. I get it. I'm just at my wit's end here. How am I supposed to do my job if Rosenberg is content to let these criminals wreak havoc on the city?"

"Maybe this is a sign you need to take some time off. You look terrible."

Roch leaned back in his chair and flashed her a grin. "You sure are the charmer, Isabel."

She gave him a disapproving frown and shook her head. "Please, you know what I mean. I'm worried about you, Isaac. Besides, if these children really are involved in something dangerous or evil, don't you think sticking your nose in it could end up with you..."

As she wandered off, Roch furrowed his brow and leaned forward. "End up with me what?"

Isabel stared down at her plate and swallowed hard before muttering, "Dead."

The look of utter despair in her eyes pierced him right through the heart. Releasing a long breath, he reached across the table and took her hand. She glanced up at him and offered a sad smile, and for a moment, he was almost ready to agree with her. To promise not to get involved and let it all be. But his sense of duty was too strong.

"Isabel," he said gently, giving her hand a squeeze, "you know I care for you deeply. And the thought of not being with you...well, frankly it terrifies me. But I have a job to do. I can't allow our city to fall into the hands of some crazy cultists. Or drugged-up youths. Or even your cousin."

"Isaac, Damon is already the mayor, I think—"

"The point is, my job is to protect Elgin. And you."

She raised an eyebrow. "You know very well that I can take care of myself. Remember what happened when those hooligans tried to rob me?"

His lips twitched in amusement as he remembered the state of the would-be robbers when he'd gotten to her house. "Yes, you're a force to be reckoned with. But that won't stop me from looking out for you."

She smiled gently. "Or I you."

A surge of warmth flooded his veins at the tender expression, and he gave her hand one last squeeze before returning to his food. "You know? Forget about waiting. Let's go catch a show at the theatre tonight. We'll save the hotel dinner for our next date," he said.

Isabel, too, resumed her meal. "Sounds wonderful. But I do need to stop by the station at some point to pick up paperwork. I didn't get everything filed away before we left. We wouldn't want any dangerous river spirits slipping through the cracks, would we?"

"And you accuse me of working too hard."

She shot him a devilish grin as she poked at her steak. "Oh, but the long nights are always far more bearable when spent together. Don't you think?"

Roch gave a laugh and gazed at the wily woman sitting across from him, still grinning like the fiery slip of a thing she was. Just the sight of her sent his heart pounding. What would he do without her? He'd be half the man he was if she weren't right there by his side. Protecting him. Supporting him. Comforting him.

Good Lord, did he love her.

"Most definitely," he said softly, once again reaching out to take her hand.