Chapter 7: Buying a Computer (1)

It wasn’t too convenient if one didn’t have a computer at school. Right now, turning in homework also required a digital version, and I had to run to the Calculation Center to do a problem. Even though the charges were inexpensive, comparing it to the five dollar “allowance” the dorm gave to each individual person, the Calculation Center was not too convenient, not to mention, doing homework while eating snacks. The foot stench of the guys beside me made me unable to continue staying there. I decided to go buy a computer.

But I knew nothing of computer problems. Even though there had always been a good Silicon Valley computer square nearby, as a computer idiot, I completely didn’t understand the CPU the ads spoke of, inner core, outer core. I asked Julie: “Julie, have you bought a computer?"

“My dad rewarded me when I got into Peking Uni, and already sent me a laptop. But I was afraid that bringing a laptop to school at the start would make for too much publicity.”

“F**k, is saying this to me directly, not called publicity? Then what will I do? Unless I should go to the Southern gate and enter Silicon Valley directly; slap my money on the table and say: ‘Boss give me a computer!’”

“This is not bad. There is boldness, a sense of a local money lord, and a upstart personality. Haha… why don’t you call your Brother Xiao Xi to help you, and you can even create an opportunity to meet. First, he comes, then you treat him to a meal as thanks. You two will be unfamiliar with each other at first, but later you two will warm up to each other.”

“This idea is not bad.  But. If he asks me about what configuration requirements I have, and I don’t know, then won’t It seem like an idiot?”

“Hey, this is nothing to worry about. The typical girl buying a computer will be a little weaker in knowledge, which will better reflect the guy’s sense of accomplishment. Otherwise, will he also further explore with you what kind of CPU you want, what kind of memory plays games smoothly, and how to get to pornography movies quickly?”

I felt she had a point. Just because someone had a high IQ didn’t mean that he knew everything. He could be the occasional computer idiot, and he wouldn’t see through my IQ. He might also feel my stupidity made me cute. As my thoughts led me here, I got out my phone and began to write a text: “Xiao Xi, do you have time this weekend?” After I finished writing it, I felt this text was too common and changed it to: “Xiao Xi, can you help me with something this weekend?” No, this was too light. “Xiao Xi, I must request your help this weekend.” Nope, this was too formal.

After thinking for half the day, I finally sent this text: Xiao Xi, do you have time this weekend?

After I finished, I looked at my phone so hard that my eyes got sore. My cell phone didn’t move at all. With great difficulty, I troubled myself to open my phone, and it only said 10086: Your credit balance is less than 10 yuan. I immediately collapsed, and decided to go out, run around,and then come back and check.

When I got downstairs, I felt that running was too pointless, as if I had nothing better to do and it even wasted my energy without increasing my IQ at all. I could only head  left towards the supermarket to buy some ice cream.

After I walked a few steps, I discovered Xiao Xi kicking a soccer ball, walking over from the opposite side. I wondered if I should pretend I didn’t see anything, return to go check my texts, or say hi, but then...how should I say hi. Before I could finish my internal conflict, Xiao Xi waved at me and said, “What are you thinking about, Lin Lin? Be careful that you don’t bump into a wall when you look down while you walk.”