Chapter 3: Preparing for the Beginning of School

On the second day, the moment I woke up, the bed next to me had already been neatly made. When I looked at my watch, I saw it was half past ten. With my hair resembling a nest, I swayed and lurched towards the bathroom. Fang Yuke just happened to come out from the bathroom holding a bunch of grapes. He looked at my hairstyle and frowned, “Were you sleeping or making bombs? How come every time you wake up, you always have this type of hairstyle?”

I glared at him, “What are you going to do about it?” When I finished speaking, I ruthlessly slammed the bathroom door. I looked at myself in the mirror, and I was indeed a little intimidating. My hair looked like the Lion King, spread out in all directions. My forehead even had a red mark on it. I patted my face while talking to myself,"Sigh, you awoke from a beautiful dream. Why would you transmigrate from the ancient times back to the modern times?"After I finished washing up, Xiao Xi and Fang Yuke were already watching TV in the room. When they saw me come over, Fang Yuke pointed at the grapes at the table and said, “Eat some fruit. People that are too angry need to get rid of all that internal fire. Careful that you don’t grow any pimples.”I picked a grape off the bunch. It had been a long time since I had eaten fresh fruit that tasted so sweet.Xiao Xi asked me, “Do you still want to eat breakfast?”

I immediately conjured up a shy appearance, “Xiao Xi, I’m really sorry. Usually I wake up pretty early. But maybe it was because I wasn’t used to the bed, so last night I didn’t sleep well. Thus, I just kept sleeping until this afternoon. So don’t make fun of me anymore.”

Xiao Xi laughed, exposing his nice dimples, “In the school, a lot of people’s days go from 5 to 9. They will sleep in the morning at 5:00 am. In the nighttime at 9:00 pm, they will wake up. Day and night are reversed.”I pretended to have a clear understanding, “I understand, I understand. Learning in the evening is more efficient.”Xiao Xi touched his head, embarrassed and laughed softly, “Haha, in reality everyone plays online games. Usually we will study right before the test.”

I couldn’t react quickly enough. I didn’t know if I should say that gaming was good or not. I didn't game, but I also hated learning. Thus conflicted, I could only glance at Fang Yuke. My heart was still scheming, wondering if I should learn how to play online games to narrow the distance between me and Xiao Xi.

Fang Yuke rolled his eyes and said, “I advise you to still study hard. Don’t go play online games. Your brain can only handle one semester exam in a school year. Don’t be like the others and cram at the last minute. It isn’t that easy to hug Buddha’s feet [1].”I angrily said, “How long have you known me? What’s wrong with my head? You don’t know how smart and clever I usually am. Otherwise how would I have tested in?”Fang Yuke pursed his lips and didn’t speak. After a long time, he said some things that made me furious, “Usually, before the Gao Kao test, you had only gotten into the top 20 position twice, right? The top 20 places are usually  held by the same people. We’re all pretty much very familiar with each other. I also somewhat heard of your name before. Aren’t you the type of person who will be in 20th position at one point and then go down to 120th position in the next exams?”

I angrily retorted, “What’s wrong with 120th place? The day I got the 120th position, I had a very high fever, alright?”I hadn’t even finished when Xiao Xi interrupted me, “Yuke, how do you know Linlin got 120th place? You rascal, do you usually keep an eye on her?”I immediately said, “Impossible! impossible! Xiao Xi don’t joke around. I've only known him for two days. He is only guessing. I actually did get 120th place before. That day, I really did have a high fever. I didn't test well, hehe, I didn't test well.”