"How do you figure?" I asked, glad to have an excuse to look at Sif rather than Thor.

"About a hundred years ago, the palace was by a wayward frost giant and while she wasn't on the field taking it down, she was inside the castle. She kept all the other servants calm and helped them get to safety. She was the youngest person there, but she was a huge comfort to everyone there. Impressed the hell out of me."

"Because it is impressive," I said, "I couldn't do that. I was useless when we were shunted to the palace after what happened."

"You didn't cry did you?" Sif asked, half joking, half serious.

"No, but I was pretty wrapped up in myself.  Vivian was crying and it didn't even occur to me to try and comfort her."

"It's not like you didn't care though."

"I really didn't,"I admitted, shame warming my cheeks. "I was too busy worrying about you."

"That's sweet," Sif said, toasting me with her glass. "But it'll take more than a roof falling to take me down, at least for the long term."

I admired her bravado but it didn't fool me. I could see the shadow of fear behind her words; we both knew how much worse that night could've been if the Jotun had found Sif before she could get away.

"Look," I said, as I scanned the crowd, looking for an excuse to change the topic. "There's Melinda."  She by the bar (which wasn't a surprise given her how she'd met Idun) and Thor was at her side, smiling and laughing. Suddenly, I wished we were talking about Jotun again.

"What's eating you Officer?"

"Nothing," I lied as I watched my friend flirt with the guy I was dating.

"Liar."

"How can you tell?"

"It's written all over your face."

"This is just my face."

"Whatever, my instincts were right either way."

"Just weird," I said as I stared at the salt that lined the rim of my glass. "Melinda, Elise and I are friends, but all dating Thor. Kind of hard to reconcile those feelings."

Sif shrugged and drained the last of her martini. "Better you than me and I wish you luck."

"Gee, thanks. Very helpful advice."

"I'm a divorced woman," Sif said, raising her eyebrows at me. "You really think you should be coming to me for relationship advice?" I had no response to that and Sif smiled. "You want another drink?"

"No," I said, eyes still on Thor as he moved away from Melinda. "I'm still not done with this one."

"Okay," Sif didn't teleport then, as I'd expected her to but sauntered through the finely dressed crowd to the bar on the other side of the room. I tried to watch her and even resorted to playing a spot the color game as I watched the crowd but like a magnet, my eyes inevitably found Thor again as he mingled with various guests as he worked his way across the room.

He'll get over here soon, I reasoned as I stared into my margarita. Might as well just stay put for now. He and I hadn't spoken since our date and though it hadn't ended on a great note, I did want to know if I would get to see him again before the second trial next week. The task was simple enough at face value, oversee a court case and pass a sentence but I found the task far more daunting than the combat trial. Fighting was easier than being just and since that day on the beach, I had more to lose if I failed. I still hadn't forgotten how nice that kiss was.

"Enjoying the party Officer?"

I looked up from my drink to see a woman with curly brown hair standing beside me in a sleek, strapless dress of gold. Her features were angular and dramatic, not unlike Angelia Jolie but I knew those eyes and smirk.  "That's a new look," I remarked, sipping at what remained of my drink. It was watered down by now, but at least it gave me time to collect my thoughts before dealing with Loki.

"I don't imagine Thor would react too well to seeing me," he replied, taking a sip of his own drink. Even from here, I could smell the whisky. "Don't want to take the spotlight off you lovely ladies tonight."

"Appreciate that," I remarked dryly as I tore my eyes away from Camilla who was laughing with Thor.

"She won't be queen," Loki said suddenly, his blue eyes glancing at the apparently happy couple.

"You have an Affinity for predicting the future?" I asked as I drained the remains of my drink.

"No," he replied as he sipped his drink, gaze still locked on Camilla and Thor. "But I am very good at reading people; they'll never work out. She's too much like me."

"Well you are both brunettes," I remarked and Loki chuckled softly.

"I'll be seeing you Your Majesty," Loki said as he drained the last of his drink and opened the gold clasp he carried, and pouring a handful of gold coins as a tip in his empty glass. "And if you want to borrow the dress, just let me know and I'll have it cleaned for you."

"Not my style but thanks for the offer."

Loki winked at me. "Anytime," and in a sudden shock of blurring gold and dark brown, he was gone entirely. Teleported anyway and without a witty comeback to ensure he had the last word in our conversation. It struck me as odd and I wondered, only for a moment why he'd done so until I saw Thor walking towards me.

"Hey," I called as he got closer, smiling as my heart sped up in my chest just a bit. "Enjoying the party."

"It's fine," he muttered, pausing at my address but the way he fiddled with his cuff-links screamed anxiety.

"Something wrong?" I asked, frowning as my mind jumped to the only conclusion that would set Thor so on edge. "Is it something with our tall friend?" I wasn't going to say 'Jotun' aloud, the last thing that would help him was to have someone overhear and a panic started.

"No, just got a lot of guests to attend to," Thor said with a quick shrug.

"Yeah, it's a lot of people. Bit overwhelming. Did you want to-?" I began, intending to ask if he wanted to step out with me for a bit and get some air, but he cut me off.

"Can be overwhelming," he muttered, "well I've got to get going but I hope you're enjoying the party." And before I could muster any sort of response, he was off and moving through the crowd again.

What the hell was that? I thought, the initial joy I'd felt at seeing him deflate like a balloon. While I knew he had other guests to attend to, I knew that his abrupt departure from me was not a result of that. I'd been blown off and I had no clue as to why that was. Suddenly, I wished I'd joined Sif to get another drink.

"Hey, sorry, line was insane." As though she was being summoned, Sif moved back to my side, drink in hand and grinning from ear to ear. "But that's always what happens at an open bar, people are keen to take advantage. Won't even let the one-armed girl cut. So, did I miss anything?"

Just Loki showing up as a woman and Thor's circuit of talking with guests not including me. "No, not really."

*************************

New chapter! I know it's a bit short, but I promise the next one will be longer! Thanks for reading, write on! :)