17. to lie is to be careful

Start from the beginning

▂▂▂▂▂

T A E H Y U N G

Taehyung has dreaded going home this entire trip.

When they pull up in front of Jeongguk and his house, he doesn't realize how his throat closes and his hands begin to shake knowing inside his mom is waiting for his explanation.

"You're going to be alright?" Jeongguk whispers softly, sleep lathering his voice as he stirs awake.

Taehyung nods stiffly, not saying a word as he eyes his home. He doesn't know if he should tell Jeongguk he's afraid, afraid of Rachel, afraid of his punisment.

Yet he remains unbothered, trying his best to not look affected. He shouldn't worry his friends - they don't deserve to get punished because of him. It was his choice to leave, not theirs.

"We're here boys," Dan pats his steering wheel, snapping him out of his thoughts. Taehyung stays silent, consumed by his own mind to realize everyone's staring at him.

"Are you sure?" Jeongguk's voice rings in his ears. He can't stand lying to him yet he just has to. He can't ruin this. He can't ruin him.

"Peachy," Taehyung whispers hoarsely. He feels Jeongguk's palm cup his cheek and turn his head to face him.

He meets his eyes, swallowing nervously as Jeongguk studies him closely. He forces a smile onto his lips, hoping it's enough. Thankfully, after a moment, Jeongguk smiles softly and presses a slow, gentle kiss on his lips.

"Knew it, pay me kiddo," They break apart upon hearing Dan's voice, their heads turning to see Grace slapping a five dollar bill in his hand.

"You guys made a bet?" Taehyung asks, his brows furrowing. He wonders how Grace, who's just like her dad, ended up with her strict, religious mother after the divorce.

"'Course. I told Grace to give me a five if ya'll are a couple. She said you didn't have the balls to ask him out, so I said, 'wanna bet' and that's how it started," Dan shrugs.

"Nice?" Taehyung says slowly, unsure of how to think about the whole thing. Jeongguk just chuckles awkwardly.

"Well anyways, see y'all again soon hopefuply and maybe next time we can go to California," Dan smiles, waving goodbye to them from the front.

Jeongguk and Taehyung exchange their goodbyes and together they exit out out of the car. When Grace and Dan drive away, it's just the two of them on the sidewalk.

"So uh, I'll see you tomorrow?" Jeongguk asks, doing his best to keep his space. Taehyung nods, faking a smile.

"Yep. I'll see you," He's already starting to walk over when he feels Jeongguk grab his wrist. It's a bold move, but it's harmless, right?

"Meet me at the Gazebo tonight?" Jeongguk suggests, but when Taehyung's smile falls he removes his hand, hurt flashing in his eyes.

"I'm pretty exhausted Koo," Taehyung whispers apologetically, reaching out to brush his hand down his arm. It's totally harmless, innocent - friendly.

"Alright," Jeongguk nods, his lips lifting into a grin. The two stare at each other, too reluctant to leave, desperate to make their time together last longer.

But eventually, Jeongguk has to return to his home. Taehyung never takes his eyes off of him, not relaxing until Jeongguk shuts the door behind him.

He finally lets out the breath he has been holding the entire time and runs a hand through his hair. He glances across the street for a second, but before he goes home his eye catches a figure in the distance.