chapter 32: in case you forget

Start from the beginning

"You're my favourite person too," I rub my thumb over his jaw. "We need to do something insanely fun! It's your eighteenth birthday, Felix. We're not just going to spend it sitting in for the night."

"I honestly don't want to do anything," he shakes his head. "And I'm not saying that because my family bailed on me or because I want to sulk. You are seriously the only thing I need, Stevie and a night in with you is better than anything I could think of."

I tilt my head to the side, "Okay."

"Okay," he smiles and leans over, kissing my cheek. "I'll be right back."

I nod and shuffle over on the couch to let him up and as he runs off, I wonder how he can be acting so calmly about this. Maybe it's because our families are different, or because this is how he's had to play it in the past. I doubt this is the first time he's been let down, and somehow, despite how it aches, I know it probably won't be the last. The thought killing me.

"We're about to have the best movie marathon night of our lives," Felix comes running down from upstairs, one of his shirts in his hand for me.

"Nope," I shake my head. "I mean, we will but first we're going to go back to my house and we're going to go swimming. And I'm going to cook you dinner, and then we can have a movie marathon."

"What makes you think I want to go swimming?" He asks as I get up.

"Because I'm not giving you a choice," I grin. "It'll be fun. I promise."

"Okay," he gives in and kisses my forehead. "I guess we can do more than just watching movies, but wouldn't it be easier to just stay here?"

"Absolutely not," I shake my head. "Go get a change of clothes."

"Yes, ma'am," he chuckles and runs back up the stairs, returning seconds later with a pair of swim trucks tossed over his shoulder and his keys. "Shall we?"

I nod and step out onto the porch, waiting for him to lock up before directing him to my car with the intentions of driving him home later. He doesn't hesitate to climb into the passenger seat and waits as I get into the driver's side. As I settle back into my seat, I put the key in the ignition and start the engine. Felix doesn't talk much on our drive, the music drowning out any force for words and I can't help but see how upset he is about his family. They made such an effort to get him excited, only to destroy it.

And even though he says he's fine. That he'd prefer a night just the two of us, I know he's disappointed because who wouldn't be?

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask after we climb out of the car outside my house.

He nods as he follows me up to the doors, "Shoot."

"How fond are you of surprises?" I question but before he can question me, we're interrupted by the shouts of my family as they jump out at us.

"Surprise!" They all yell at the same time and I turn to see Felix's react, finding his lips parted in shock. Riker is the first to speak as he steps up, patting his shoulder.

"Happy birthday, man!"

"Thanks," Felix says, his state of surprise fading as he looks over at me. "What is this?"

"A surprise!" I smile softly. "I didn't want you to have to celebrate all by yourself, Felix and as much as I'd love to have a movie marathon. Which, we will do, we celebrate birthday's big in this house."

"And you're a part of this family now, Felix," my mom tells him. "So, you can expect us to be just as crazy every year that you're with us."

Felix cracks a smile as he moves his arm around my shoulder. "You really didn't have to do all of this for me, but thank you. It...means a lot."