Ch. 30 • Love Day

Jackson, MS. February 1944
Friday 3:31 pm
Valentines Day

Paislee

It had been about a week from last Saturday's horrible incident and my family was still recovering. Mama was up and moving but daddy and I still helped her with her bandages and getting around the house. The twins were stepping up to the plate and helping out with the smallest house chores. I had missed a total of two days of school but it was no problem. The teachers or girls didn't miss me at all.

In reality, I hadn't talked to many classmates in months. Sheila and I talked all seven hours of the school day that I barely realized when the other girls would stare at me or give off snarky remarks. I was happy with the people on my life and that's what really mattered after all.

"Hey bean," Sheila said, falling into step with me while we walked the hallways.

"Hey." I stopped at the end of the steps and gave her a quick smile. "This from Robert?"

She looked at the jewelry on her wrist and nodded shyly. "That it is. He gave it to me yesterday when we went out to the movies."

She fondled with the charm bracelet on her wrist and smiled like it was the greatest gift. Earlier in the school day she had given me a small flower with a handwritten note. Not knowing we were even exchanging gifts, I didn't bring a single thing in hand except for my appreciation and love. Instead, throughout the day I showered her with compliments and thanks for the gift.

"Aww, you guys are so adorable. I need to meet this guy one day or another," I said.

"Right, I'll have to find a good time for that to happen. I've told him about you and he's happy that I've made friends here."

"That's good. Are you walking home with me today?" I asked.

"No, my pops is picking me up. Actually. . . That's him right there so I'll catch you later."

"For sure. Call me on the horn later tonight."

She stuck her thumb up and hopped into her dad's car before driving off. As for me, I began my journey home. I began walking through the city—I was too fearful of walking the back way—and passing stores and shops along the way. All of them showcased the best expensive chocolates and flowers. Pink and red roses and gardenias were propped up in every window. 

When I eventually made it home, mama and daddy were both there. By the flowers on the table, I could tell that daddy had bought mama something.

"Hey y'all," I said, walking into the kitchen,

"Hey, sweet pea. How was your day?" Mama asked.

"It was a typical day. Nothing more nothing less."

"That's good." She dried her hands onto a kitchen towel and turned to me fully. "Before you sit down could you go outside and check the mail for us?"

"Oki-Doki."

I swung the screen door open and jogged to the mailbox. When I opened the metal flap there wasn't much but miscellaneous bills and letter. On the very bottom on the stack, one letter caught my attention. In the right bottom corner, my name was printed in small letters. The original address was from an unknown place way across town.

"What in the world," I mumbled to myself.

I folded the envelope and tucked it under my arm before walking back to my house. When I returned and set the envelopes on the table and rushed up the steps with my school bag. I was wondering what could possibly be in this thin envelope for me. Tearing it open, a small, red paper heart fell onto my vanity where I sat.