Ch. 3 • Give Me My Yellow Bike!

Jackson, MS, September 1943
Tuesday, 7:45 am
First day at Lenin High

Deen

I had gone through the tears, cheek-pinches, and 'awws' that my mom had to say on this bright—hint sarcasm—morning. It was extremely early and everyone knew that I, Deen Rivera, was anything but a morning person. Though, being the person that my mother is, she had to go all out today. For what? I didn't really know, she claimed that it was my last year and that your senior year is the best year and yadda-yadda-yadda.

"Look ma, you know I love you dearly, right?" I asked. She nodded and dabbed her eyes with a handkerchief. "Well then could you please, please, let me eat my breakfast in peace."

"But Deen–"

"–Let the boy eat Laney," Dad cut in. Exaggerating my heavy sigh, I sat in my chair at our dining table and looked down at my plate of food. Biscuits, sausage, eggs, and even a side of fresh oranges and orange juice. My mouth salivated at my mama's cooking and I rubbed my hands together ready to dig in.

Not before prayer.

My conscious always reminded me of the simple things. I said a quick prayer in my head before I took my fork and scooped a mouthful of eggs into my mouth. I could taste the cheese that my mom had put in here.

"Hurry up De or else you'll be late," Ma said. I nodded and grabbed my glass of orange juice and started to chug it down speedily. I didn't need a tardy slip on the first day. "Go grab your bag and I'll drive you."

My steps halted. "Mom I can drive myself, I promise. I know it's my first day and I'm your only child, but I can handle this. Okay?" She nodded sadly and patted my shoulder.

I ran up the stairs and into my room to grab all the things I needed. Keys? Check. Schedule? Check. Books? Check. Bookbag? Check!

Heading downstairs I saw both my parents near the steps talking. I smiled and pulled my dad for in a hug as he ruffled my neat—and darn near perfect—hair. My mom did the same and kissed my cheek before I jogged out the door.

"Bye! Love you DeDe!" I smiled bashfully and mentally hoped no one in the neighborhood heard.

"Love you too ma!"

° ° °
"Well, class we have a new student joining us today. Would you like to stand Deen?"

No, I would not, I thought to myself. Instead, I nervously fumbled with my hands and slowly stood from my chair. I felt everyone's eyes avert to my desk, which was hidden nicely in the back corner.

"Well like the teacher said, I'm Deen Rivera. I'm actually from Meridan, Mississippi, but my family and I relocated here a few weeks ago. That's all really, good day." I waved shyly and sat back down, content with my introduction. I saw some of the girls whisper and steal glances at my face through the class period. Same for guys, at least their faces were a bit friendly.

The class had ended after a while and for that I was glad. It had been full of lectures and worksheets and so much writing on the chalkboard. I thought his chalk-stick would've run out by the end of our class.

"Hey Deen, I'm Adam." A random guy came and stuck out his hand and I watched his friend parade around him. "You can sit with me and my cats today at lunch if you want. I know you're new and all and we're just offering the company."

I smiled. "Yes, thank you so much. I've been stressing this whole day and I finally get to relax."

"Good, well let's get going to the cafe before the food gets bad. Just follow us and you'll fit right in here." I nodded and did what Adam said: follow them. We all got our food and I saw them settle into a large round table that was in the middle of the cafeteria. I could feel people's glares watching us like a hawk.