Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

"He just let you throw a party then?" I continue to question, and he laughs, guiding me out of the foyer and down one of the hallways, leading towards the kitchen.

"Yes, he did," he responds as we enter the kitchen.

I see Jasmine sitting on the counter, Daniel standing in between her legs with his hands on her thighs. She saying something that seems to make him laugh, and Charlie is nowhere in sight, unsurprisingly.

"Blondie and Ryan are here too," Bryce tells me, pulling me away from the sight before me.

He then points in the direction of the back living room, where I see our friends, along with a few other kids from our school, including Camila, sitting on the couches, chairs, and some even sitting on the floor with their backs against the wall. Ryan is sitting with Jordan and my brother, and Mateo is off to the side, standing and talking to a girl from our English.

Bryce gives one of my hands a squeeze, making me look up towards him.

"Go sit with them. I'll be over in a second," he tells me, and I give him a nod, separating us for the first time since I had arrived here.

I take a seat on a somehow empty couch, drawing Mateo's attention away from the conversation he's currently immersed in.

He says a few more words to the girl before heading my way, a smile on his face.

"Hey Lexi. You look nice," he says, taking a seat next to me.

This part of the house is far quieter than the kitchen and main living room, and we're able to speak at a relatively normal volume and still able to here each other.

"Hi. How was your Christmas?" I ask him, and he laughs a little, taking a sip of the beer in his hand.

Interesting. He's drinking tonight. I know that he drinks sometimes, but not usually at parties.

Sighing, he answers, "Fine. My dad didn't bother coming home to visit. He usually does, so it was a bit weird, but I guess things are tense right now seeing as him and my mom's divorce just got finalized. It's just sad how he didn't bother to come visit his kids. He could have stayed in a hotel or something."

His words remind me that his family isn't doing great right now, and I rest my hand on his arm for comfort.

"Hey lovebirds!" Bryce says, his voice dripping with sarcasm as he sits down next to me.

He holds out a solo cup filled with some beverage as if he expects me to take it, but a realization strikes him when all I do is eye the drink suspiciously.

"It's just water, Blossom. What did you think I was trying to give you? Vodka?" he asks, and I give him a shake of my head, taking the cup from him.

"Thank you," I reply quietly, and he nods at me.

Suddenly aware that my hand is still on Mateo's arm, I quickly pull away, folding my hands in my lap instead.

Bryce notices and a smirk grows on his face, causing Mateo to glare at him.

"What's up with you guys? I don't get it," I ask, starting to let some of my frustration surrounding their weird relationship out.

"Yeah, Bryce. What's up with us?" Mateo asks in a mocking, condescending tone, and I watch as Bryce jaw clenches.

"Don't push it, DiLaurentis," Bryce snaps, and Mateo takes another sip of his beer.

I don't like being in the middle of this, seeing as something is clearly wrong.