Chapter Fifty Nine

•••

Edward, despite many other feelings swirling inside him, has become acutely aware of a barely recognizable sensation in his right arm. Initially he ignores it, having his heart torn apart by the sight of his brother's lifeless armor laid in front of him, but does a double take when he realizes that the feeling of the whistling wind is flitting through his thin fingers. Bony, malnourished fingers lead to a bony, malnourished arm, then to his shoulder, where the only evidence of there ever being a metal prosthetic is shrapnel lodged inside of him. Yet he pays no mind to it; the sheer fury inside him burns, and he needs a release.

His arm is pure flesh. Flesh that once saved Al, but now is the one thing that has reared them apart. Nothing of his brother remains except a husk of broken down armor and pieces.

The alchemist has to restrain himself from letting out a shaking breath. He knows he can't show weakness, so instead, the need for vengeance burns in his eyes. He stares through Father, who is still approaching him. Now is the time to act.

Edward rips the screw fiercely from his arm and sends it into the dirt next to his feet with an angry throw. His mind is blank as he lets his emotions encase his heart. Alchemy flies from his fingertips and hit Father with such precision that all of his friends are too shocked to do anything else but watch.

Father has no defense, no protection against the alchemy prodigy. Edward thinks of every single attack he can manage with it, and he knows he's close to victory when Father's vessel begins to break at the skin. Black ashes drift out of his cracked cheek.

Edward takes a moment to steady himself. Blood drips from his arm and various other places, and his breath is shallow. At this point, he notices that everyone has been cheering for him, willing him to fight, to win, to do all that he can. Hot blood courses through his veins as he hears his loved ones encourage him.

Father perseveres, but he's been weakened too drastically to be victorious against someone like the Fullmetal Alchemist. They both jump towards each other, but only Ed lands the punch, straight into his face with a flesh arm. He flies backward into the concrete.

"Get up, you novice!" Ed shouts, a fist still up. He towers over the feeble father. "I'm not done with you yet!"

Father scrambles to his feet but is punched by Ed multiple times more. Even with his right arm, he manages to make him weaker and weaker, to the point where Father has not even a shred of strength to fight back.

An uppercut from Edward sends him flying, then he crashes to the hard ground. As the victor takes labored breaths and unclenches his fists, his allies appraise him.

"You're done for," he states, looking away and towards the crowd. Hopeful smiles greet him, but somehow he knows this isn't over.

A pulse of energy from Father beats through the air, confirming his suspicions.

"Step back!" he shouts, doing so himself. "Now!"

Red sparks come from him and pick up dust into a cloud around him. God is now uncontained and free from a vessel.

"Philosopher's Stone!" Father yearns, then immediately attacks Greed. Ling shoves the thin man away, but his desperation is strong. He inserts a fist into his heart, where the stone of Greed lies. With weak arms he begins to pull, but internally, Greed and Ling are having their own war. Sonia can tell; one wants to go, the other wants them to stay. She's not sure why, but they give in. Greed's power is now Father's. His arm turns black like the homunculi's soul, and, to protect the Prince, Lan Fan cuts off the arm. It is still lodged inside Ling, but then it dissipates into the air, and he sustains no injury.