31

A/N: I love this chapter, and I am so excited to hear what you think of it. Due to some personal issues, I was unable to update as promised, but I'm trying to get back to a normal schedule the best I can. For now, I don't want to commit to a specific schedule, but I hope to keep updates within a week of each other. Thank you guys so much for your understanding.

...

I've read stories that tell you how it feels to be in such a state of panic that it's as though you're floating outside of your own body. In all of the stupid reality T.V. shows that Moira and Ashlee talked me into watching, there's always someone driving to the hospital to see someone and acting as though they're the ones that are in critical condition.

I can't mock those people anymore. Simon's driving, he's holding my hand and talking to me, but I still can't hear anything. My head feels like someone took it in their hands and swung it left and right a hundred times. I know that somewhere in the chaos, Simon called all of my friends to them what happened. I'm not sure if it's because he thinks I need them, or because Jared was the other driver and he wants him to have someone there too.

I'm not sure how much all of us would have to hate Jared to not care about what happens to him. He's been a pain in the ass this last month, and I'm still almost certain that he's never going to be able to repair the relationships that he destroyed in the process of falling for Kristina.

But that boy has been with me through every struggle I've ever faced. God, I'm worried about my mom, but I'm also breaking over the fact that I might lose Jared all over again. I should have tried harder to stop him when he drove away. I could have prevented this before anyone got hurt.

And why, why did I have to ask my mom to come get me? I could have easily taken a cab home and left her out of this entire night. She would be safe at home right now, in bed with a book while my dad watched T.V. beside her.

"Paige," I heard. I knew that it was Simon talking, but I couldn't find the strength to turn my head. My eyes felt like they were glued half-open, and my hand was just a lump of clay lying in Simon's. "Paige, she's going to be okay. Jared's going to be okay. You have to..."

Was he going to tell me that I needed to calm down? Because we both knew that wasn't going to happen. I may not worship the ground my mother walks on, but that woman means more to me than I would care to admit.

"You have to call your dad, Paige. Why don't you give me your phone and I can do it?" he offered. Whatever concrete was holding my neck in place gave way, and I found the strength to turn my head. Simon's eyes were on the road until he felt mine boring into him. There weren't any tears; tears would mean that my body understood what the hell was happening. I'm pretty sure that stage was still ten minutes out, and right now I was just trying to let my brain catch up to reality.

"I need you," I whimpered. The words burnt on the way out, like I had just run a marathon. He glanced at the road and back again, squeezing my hand.

"I'm not going anywhere, love. I'm wherever you need me," he smiled, but not letting it reach his eyes. I have no idea how we got here from screaming at each other less than fifteen minutes ago, but yet again a weight on my shoulders was lifted. Given, it was replaced by the fear I felt for my mom and Jared, but it was a relief for about five minutes.

Staring into Simon's eyes, feeling the curve of his hand that was made to hold mine, I knew that whatever I was about to face, I could face it with him.

~~~

"Paige! Paige...Paige..." my dad sighed, pulling me into his arms. My hand was still glued to Simon's, who didn't even drop it when my dad pulled me out of my chair into a hug. I had come to the conclusion that my body had in fact caught up to the reality of everything, but somehow, Simon's hold on me was keeping me together. I had refused to shed a single tear as of yet, but I was pretty sure now that my dad was here that wasn't going to be the case for much longer. "Simon. I'm so glad you're here."