06 - Big Win

A/N: Thank you so much readers for your thoughtful comments

...

Due to the somewhat complex terminology of hockey, I have included some definitions that some readers may not already know. If I miss any and you feel lost or are just curious, feel free to message me!

1: Flood: When both teams leave the ice so that the zamboni can resurface the ice (return it to the state it was in at the beginning of the game). Higher levels of hockey will often have two floods, one between each period, lasting 15 - 20 minutes each.

2: League Playdowns: Taking place at the end of year, usually in the form of a round robin, all teams in the league will compete for 'League Champions', finishing first out of the entire league. 

3: Shift: The period of time a player, or defensive pairing is on the ice before being replaced by another.

4: Penalty: A penalty in ice hockey is a punishment for an infringement of the rules. 

...

I cheer as Simon skates the puck down the ice, but when he passes it to Alex on defense, he loses the puck and the other team returns it on a breakaway and score. I was planning on inviting the guys' team to the party too, but after the way they've been playing I doubt they'll be in the partying mood.

My heart squeezes when I call it the guys' team. These aren't my teammates anymore. They haven't been for a long time, but it still hurts everytime I watch Hunter Bedford go on the ice instead of me. He took my position when I left the team.

When the guys leave the ice for a flood after the second period, I finally take my eyes off the game to scan the crowd. I spot Kristina and Mandy sitting with some of the other girls from the school cheer team. Mandy sees me immediately and even waves, but Kristina pretends to skip over me in the crowd and continues her conversation with someone else. I wave back at Mandy and stand up to get something from the concession.

For all of the time that I've spent with Kristina—putting up with her, invited her to my house because the rest of the guys and their girlfriends are there—she could at least make an effort to like me. As I'm waiting for my fries to be ready, someone taps me on my shoulder. I turn and find Coach Hicks smiling back at me. I gasp and wrap him in a hug.

"Long time no see Gator," he laughs. He was my coach before I left the team. Gator was my nickname; he said that I was so fast that I was constantly saying later alligator to the other team. Not literally, but he always thought it was the funniest joke ever.

"Yeah, I haven't made it to many games this season," I admit. I don't know why I tell him this though; I always find him after games and say hi. He's basically a second dad.

"I get it. You're too big league for us now," he teases, even though we both know that's not true. It stopped bothering me because I love playing with all of the girls on my team, but my games are a lot slower. It's just not as good as hockey I could be playing in Burton. My breath hitches in my throat and I have a hard time keeping the tears at bay. Even after all this time, I would pay anything to get to play with this team again.

"What are you doing up here anyways? Don't you got a team to coach?" I laugh. He rolls his eyes and nods, taking me by the elbow. As we leave the lobby I can hear them calling that my fries are ready, but cleary Coach has other plans for me.

"I need you. The guys are killing me out there," he admits. I laugh and nod. He does look pretty tired.

"What do you want me to do? Cross my fingers?" I joke, but know what he's implying as we near the dressing rooms. My breathing quickens and I stare anywhere but at the team pictures that are taken every year. The year that I quit, the guys went to provincials and brought home gold. The picture of all of them with their medals hangs on their dressing room door and I have to bite my cheek to keep from crying.