Chapter 37

I wake up, still dazed only to realize I'm not lying in my bed. I'm in the backseat of a car, a moving car. I look at my abductor and I'm not surprised to find my brother at the wheel.

Instantly I go into survival mode, he didn't kill my family, he tranquilized them, they will wake up in twelve hours or however long that shit knocks you out for and they will be fine. I check my pocket to find the dart still hidden away.
Thank the Angel! I have a weapon... sort of.

I check my surroundings, careful to only move my eyes, I don't want to alert Johnathan that I've awakened, this is the only advantage I have. I see he took the time to put shoes on my feet, too bad these aren't the ones with the daggers hidden inside.

I glance through the windows at the trees zooming by, it's still nightfall but I have no idea how long I've been out cold. Instinct tells me a few hours at least.

I soon become aware of a bad taste in my mouth, like chemicals.
Chloroform, why would he tranquilize them but not me? Unless this is supposed to be stronger.

The car pulls to a stop and he exits the vehicle. The passenger door opens and he gently places his arms around me and lifts me in the air. It's almost comical how gentle he's being as if I matter to him.
Through the slits in my eyes ,I see a private jet and I start to panic.
I start to go over my survivor list,
Rule one, don't panic, so Fray get your shit together.
Two, fuck number two, I can't let him take me on that plane!

As graceful and quietly as possible I remove the dart with the vile from my pocket, and without thinking twice I jam it to his neck, praying there is enough to knock him out long enough to give me a head start.

Immediately he drops me, still woozy I land on my feet. Only to realize he was not alone.

"James," he pants, "capture her but do not fucking hurt her. Use a tranquilizer, we have to get her to safety."

I'm confused by his words, safety? Since when does he give a shit about my safety. Surely it's a tactic, however ,the look that crosses over James face makes it known my safety is his last concern.

I see Johnathan's face go pale," so you're working for him now to then?"

When James says nothing just smiles, Johnathan screams, "Run!"

Out of the corner of my eye, I see him take out a large knife and send it plunging into James's chest but with him growing weaker from the tranquilizer, it doesn't go in very deep. I spin on my heel and run.

I have no idea where I am, I take in my surroundings as my feet pound the pavement as I trained myself to do. I see all my options in less than two seconds. To my right is more pavement and a vast nothingness, straight ahead is a large building but I know I'll just be a sitting duck in there. Both are lit up by fluorescent lights. Two years ago my instinct would have been that building, I know better now.
To my left is a vast forest, hundreds and hundreds of trees and blackness but I know this is my only shot.

I make a sharp left as a bullet whizzes past me, I run as fast as I can in a zig-zag motion, crissing and crossing. I can't run as fast this way but I'm not just out running James, I'm out running his gun and it's much harder to hit a target who is weaving in and out. If I ran in a straight line I would already be dead.

I think of Jace as I push myself harder and harder, harder than ever before. He had something he wanted to tell me and every part of me thought he was going to say it. Those three words that I've wanted him to say since well before I should have. The three words I've been dying to say to him since he pulled me out of that nightmare. He's the only one who's ever been able to do that. Now I may never get that chance.
No! I will get the chance, I will make it because that's what I do, I survive.