Chapter 34

I feel cold hands on my cheeks as I start to open my eyes, expecting Jace's gold locks but seeing the pale face of my brother.

He lifts me in his arms as I struggle against them. Usually, it wouldn't even be a fight but I'm still woozy from the blunt object that struck my head.

Only a fucking coward would hit someone from behind.

"Johnathan put me down! What? Come to finish the job?" I say venomously, letting my hatred completely take over. On some level, I'm aware of the throbbing in my head but not enough for it to matter.

"I wouldn't hurt you again, Clary, you're my sister."

"What else do you call bashing my head in? Sisterly love?"

"Clary, I didn't do this, I saved you. Please let me explain."

Saved me? The thought alone would almost be comical if it wasn't so damn fucked up. I don't know what game he's playing at but I refuse to be a pawn.

"Clary, I didn't do this, I stopped him, you're in danger, you have to listen to me please." I'm barely even listening to him as he pleads his case, there isn't a single thing he could do or say that would change what he did.

What did he think just because I didn't see him hit me I would fall for his brotherly act? That I would be the perfect damsel in distress in need of saving?

I'm not a damsel and I can save myself.

His grip loosens slightly which is all I need, I slam the side of my palm into the base of his neck. Instantly he drops me as he gasps for air.

I don't even give him a second to catch his breath before I'm throwing punch after punch. He's doing his best to deflect my advances but he isn't fighting me.
Why isn't he fighting back? He can bash me in the back of the head but won't face me now? Probably didn't expect me to regain consciousness so quickly. Well brother dear, you have no idea what I'm capable of.

"Clary!" Jace screams rounding the corner, for just a second I'm distracted and as soon as my guard is down Johnathan ducks under my arm and takes off down the alleyway.

When he gets to the end he spins around meeting my eyes, "Clary, your enemies are closer than you think, the person who hit you..."

Before he can finish whatever falsehoods he can come up with on the spot I cut him off, "spare me your lies, Johnathan."

With one smooth movement, I remove the dagger from a hidden zipper in my stiletto and send it hurtling to his chest. With the speed of a bullet, there is no way that knife shouldn't be wedged into his heart but he's a Morgenstern and my brother, he catches it with ease inches before it plunges into his chest.

"Be careful little sister, I am not your enemy, not anymore."
Jace is already sprinting down the dark path but it's no use. Just like the blink of an eye he's gone.
Jase curses as he walks back to me looking like an avenging angel.

"I'll fucking kill him next time I see him, by the Angel I promise you, Clary," he places his fingers on either side of my cheek, "I think you might have a concussion."

Only then I realize the intense throbbing in my head and the taste of copper as the blood from the gash on my head trickles into my mouth.

I guess it was my adrenaline that fueled me because now I feel drained, so drained and tired. I start to fall but Jace wraps his hands around me as he cradles me in his arms. I can hear the hum of his heartbeat thumping harder and harder against his chest and as the world around me fades to black for the second time tonight in his embrace, I feel safe.