21 - FLU

The sound of an alarm clock going off makes me wake up, barely. I kept my eyes shut but my brain's awake. I can hear Rick calling Carl's name but I didn't bother to open my eyes. I slept earlier than he did, to avoid talking to him at night. Carl had never spoke to me that way before and it kind of pissed me off.

"Farren?" I hear his soft voice that made me fully awake. "You awake?"

"No." I mumble as I throw the covers over my face. My blanket was soon ripped away from me and there was Carl. I sighed and rubbed my eyes. "What?"

"Listen, about yesterday..." I shook my head at him, before sitting up. I forgot that my hair isn't tied up right now, so it must look like a complete bird nest. "If you wanna tell your dad, go ahead. It's their problem to handle, not yours or mine."

He nods. "I-I was gonna apologize for being a dick..." He looked at me. "I'm sorry."

"Well, I appreciate you admittimg that you're a dick." I smiled and he chuckled. "But yeah, it's alright. I'm sorry too."

We both got out of our cells and Carl tells me that he's gonna help his dad with the pigs. I told him I'll just stay put and find something to do. When he left, I figured that I should find my mom.

But on my way out of the cellblock, I heard a gunshot. I immediately got out of the cellblock while holding my hand, and saw my mom talking to a frantic looking Mika and Lizzie. Glenn was also there too, and I ran towards them.

"Walkers in D!" Glenn yelled when I reached them.

"What about C?" I turned around and saw Rick running towards us. Sasha and the others got out of the cell and answers him, while I go and follow my mom into cellblock D.

Once we were inside, there were screams heard and walker snarls are echoing inside. Everyone inside was panicking. I put my gun back in my holster and pulled my switchblade out instead, before stabbing a walker in the head. There were some good people bitten and dead on the floor, along with a few walkers that were taken out.

"Help!" I turned to my right and saw a little girl with a walker approaching her. I changed the way I hold my blade, before throwing it at the walker's head.

It falls dead on the floor and I pulled my knife away from its head, then grabbing the girl's hand.

"Farren, over here!" I heard Karen's voice and saw her inside a cell. The girl and I ran there and I let her stay inside, before killing more walkers off.

I saw my mom helping Mr. Samuels so I approached her and helped her with Mr. Samuels. We took him inside a cell, and laid him down.

That's when I saw the bite on his arm.

"Just stay calm." My mom tells him as she closes the curtain. I spotted a belt and grabbed it, then giving it to my mom. "I'm gonna have to amputate your arm to stop the infection from spreading."

My mom looks at Mr. Samuels' nape and her face fell. The look on her face tells me that there's another bite.

"It's happening, isn't it?" Mr. Samuels asked her.

"You're in shock, okay?" My mom tells him. "I want you just to lay back."

The man lays flat on his back with a heavy sigh. "Lizzie and Mika, you care about them. I've seen it. I don't have anybody else. Kids on their own, they don't have a chance. Can you look out for them? Like they're yours?"

My heart breaks for this man and for the kids. My mom nods her head. "Yeah. Yeah, I can. I will."

My mom looks back at me and I swallow down the lump in my throat. "You're gonna have to let them say goodbye. Okay?"