Three

Photo by Artem Bali on Unsplash

Trent and Darby groaned. "Ohhhh, no, Kayla. I'm sorry," Trent said. "The correct answer is 1865."

Kayla felt a little sick to her stomach. She really wanted that ticket! And now she was worried that her friends, coworkers, and neighbors would be listening and think she was stupid. She bit her lip. Hopefully Noah would miss his next question.

"Noah, the lobsterman, you have a chance to pull ahead on this next question. Who cut Van Gogh's ear? A rival artist, himself, or his wife?"

Noah laughed. "That's easy, man. He cut his ear off himself."

"Ding, ding, ding! Exactly right!" Darby squealed. "Noah, you've pulled ahead two to one, but Kayla still has a chance with her third question. Kayla, are you ready?"

"Yes," Kayla said as one of the twins dumped cereal over the head of the other, cracking them both up. Another Saturday vacuuming the car. And now she glanced at the time. If she didn't get going, she'd be late to work to boot! She gritted her teeth and prayed for an easy question.

"Last question, Kayla, the single mom of twins. Which is the largest ocean? The Pacific, The Atlantic, or the Arctic?"

Relief flooded through Kayla's body. "That would be the Pacific, Darby," she said in a confident tone.

"That's right!" Trent said. "Now we are tied again two to two, but Noah has a chance to win with his third question. And here goes, for the Battle of the Sexes showdown, Noah: What horoscope sign has a crab? Scorpio, Cancer, or Capricorn."

Kayla held her breath. What were the chances that a lobsterman wouldn't know the sign for Cancer was a crab, but who knew...maybe...

"Cancer," Noah said.

"That is correct!" Darby said. "Congratulations, Noah, you've won the ticket to the Country Fire concert, a limo ride to the venue, and backstage pass. Kayla, thank you for playing and sorry you didn't win this time. Both of you please stay on the line as we go to commercial break. And that, my friends, was Battle of the Sexes!"

Feeling gloomy, Kayla sighed, gave her information to the person at the radio station, and put her minivan in gear. So much for a fun night out.

The rest of the day passed in a blur of insurance forms, appointment scheduling, and payment processing at her medical receptionist job in the oncology department. Seeing and talking to the patients, many of whom were very sick and probably terminal, should have made her feel grateful that she had her health, a decent job, and two beautiful babies, and it did. Sort of. But there was such a part of her that was bone-tired. She really needed a few hours for herself. Maybe she'd ask her mother to take the twins overnight on Saturday anyway. She could take a long, hot bath, drink a couple glasses of wine, read a romance novel without interruption. Or maybe, just maybe, the twins' father would take them for the weekend.

A girl could only hope.

----------------------------------------------

Do you think Kayla's ex will take the boys for the weekend so Kayla can have some "me time?" If you like the story, please vote and tell your friends. It's a warm-up exercise for a big project I'm planning to start soon. And only 7 more parts to go on MY LAST HOT KISS. Stay tuned!

And if you really like this story and can't wait for the next installment, check out one of my two completed books DISGUISED or FINDING PENNY. The were both featured. FINDING PENNY was shortlisted for the 2018 Watty's. They are both completed romantic mysteries. Just go to my profile and click to read!

 Just go to my profile and click to read!