Chapter 6

March turned into April, April into May and before you knew it, it was summertime, dreaded summertime. I didn't like the heat, I didn't like swimming, I didn't like the bugs or anything about summer except that we didn't have to go to school. That was the only good thing about summer.

With all the time we had on our hands, we could go up the hill to the woods and build a cabin. Every year we would build at least one cabin. Sometimes it would be a tree house up in the trees, or else a lean-to or a log cabin on the ground. It was different every time. I did like this part of summer. It was cool in the woods. We would stay up there all day working on the cabin. I can't ever remember going home for lunch during these times. Then when it was done, we would sit inside and look out at the birds and animals that came by.

Some nights we would sleep out in the cabin. We would bring beans, bacon, eggs and something to drink. We would make a fire to cook and keep warm in the evenings. It was a fun time. Then one night when Tubby, Andy and I were sleeping out, we were awakened by the sound of someone chopping wood off in the distance.

I was the first one to wake up, then Andy, and then Tubby.

"What the heck is that?" asked Andy.

"It sounds like someone chopping wood," I replied.

"What time is it?" asked Tubby.

"You're the one with the Hopalong Cassidy watch, you tell me," I replied.

"It's one in the morning," answered Tubby groggily.

"Come on, lets go see who it is," said Andy.

We went off in the direction of the chopping, along the ridge and down the hill toward Stump Creek. As we walked along in the dark, it seemed that we were not getting any closer to the sounds. It always seemed to be about 100 yards away. It was a steady chopping sound that would go on for a few minutes, then stop for a few minutes. This just kept repeating over and over. Then the chopping stopped.

"I don't know about you guys, but this is giving me the creeps," whispered Tubby.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't like it either," whispered Andy.

"Why are.." I started

"Keep your voice down," whispered Tubby.

"Why are we whispering?" I asked.

"Because this is spooky and I don't know who is doing this, but obviously he knows we are following him, because he keeps moving away. That's why," whispered Tubby.

"Now you guys are making me nervous," I said in a hushed voice. "I am going back to the cabin."

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea," whispered Andy.

With that we all headed back to the cabin. The next day we met at the playground. Andy was there with a few of his brothers. We started talking about the "wood chopper" and Andy's brother said he also had heard the "wood chopper" when he slept out over the years.

"You mean he has been up there for years?" I asked.

"Oh yeah! He won't hurt you. You will never find him, he just keeps moving away," said Andy's older brother.

We could not get the woodchopper out of our minds. That night Tubby and I went back up to the cabin and we were not there very long before the chopping started. We started walking toward the sounds and again it kept the same distance away from us.

"I have an idea," said Tubby. "Let's start walking the other way, away from the sounds, and see what happens."

"Hey, that is a good idea," I replied.