Chapter 26 ~ The Best

Start from the beginning

I let out a sigh, turning to Hannah who gave me a sympathetic look. "Come on, let's go."

She followed me to my classroom but didn't say anything until we were standing outside of it. "Don't think about Zayn. He'll get around it," she reassured me.

I nodded slowly, averting my gaze. "It's just still hard, you know? I don't even know myself how I'm supposed to react to all this. All I know right now is that I'm so happy that he is back, that he actually saw my text and listened to me."

She gave me a smile. "I know, and you should be. This is what you've been waiting for. Don't let Zayn make you overthink it. Harry is here because he loves you, and he won't hurt you again. I can see it in his eyes how much he adores you."

Grinning, I shook my head in amusement. "Now you're just talking bullshit. He does not look at me like that."

"Uh, yes he does. Didn't you see him on the television the other day? I mean, that song was intense! And the way he sang it... There was no doubt he was in love with the person he was singing about."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. I'm just happy that you're on my side on this," I told her genuinely.

"Of course, Louis."

With that said, we separated, and I finally entered the classroom. The lesson had begun five minutes ago, but thankfully the teacher let it slip, so I just sat down in an empty seat quietly and opened my books.

The lesson seemed to go on for ages. I kept looking at the clock, waiting for the hour to pass. To be frank, I couldn't wait to see Harry again. Every fiber in my body wanted to be close to him again. It was so bad that I was stamping my foot against the floor frequently in impatience.

I don't think I even listened to a word the teacher said during the entire lesson, but eventually, the bell finally rang, and I was the first one out. I practically sprinted through the hallway to my locker, so when I noticed he wasn't there, I could feel my heart sink to the pit of my stomach.

Where was he? He promised he would be here when my class finished. Had he left anyway?

All these thoughts started running through my head, making me start sweating. I opened my locker and shoved my books into it to help myself calm down, but it didn't really work.

The second I felt tears building up in my eyes, I could feel a warm presence behind me and fluffy hair tickling the side of my neck. I got goosebumps by the feeling, and it didn't help to hear the sound of his angelic voice.

"Welcome back, love."

Instantly, a smile formed on my lips, and I turned around to look at the person I'd longed to see again for the past hour. "I actually thought you'd left," I admitted breathlessly, looking into his sparkling, green eyes.

An amused smile crept to his face as he shook his head. "Of course not. Didn't I tell you that I would be here when you came back?"

He reached out to wrap his arms around my waist, leaning in close to my face so only I could hear what he said. "But I understand why you're doubtful," he sighed.

I didn't say anything but only looked away from him. I wanted to trust him like I had done in our relationship before, but even if he had shown that he still liked me despite his actions the last couple of years, I was sure it was going to take some time for me to fully trust him again. Only time would make things better.

"Alright, how about you skip last class and I'll take you to the lake?" He suggested, raising his eyebrows at me hopefully.

I inhaled a deep breath as I bit my lip, thinking about it. I usually never skipped class, but was spending time with Harry worth it? Who knew for how long he would stay until he had to go back on tour again?