Chapter 9 ~ The Truth

[Harry]

I watched the door slam shut after Louis and his family as I was standing in the staircase. No one knew I was watching them, not even Liam. I had told him that I was just going to the bathroom, but instead, I decided to be a little sneaky. So, I went back to eavesdrop on my family and Louis' conversation.

The second the house fell silent, I sank down to the steps, my back against the railing. I bit my bottom lip as I thought of what they had been talking about. I hadn't heard everything, just the last part when mom mentioned she was desperate because she thought I had changed too much. I wanted to snort at the thought. Changed? I mean, I was still the same guy, in the same body. What did she even mean by it?

The fact that Louis seemed to know exactly what she was talking about made me even more confused, but I guess I shouldn't give it too much thought. They were probably just sad that I had taken distance from him. However, there was nothing to do about that. It was my decision after all.

After a while of thinking, I stood up and went back to my room where Liam was lying on my bed, his phone in his hands. His head snapped in my direction when I shut the door behind me. "Took you long enough," he muttered, making me roll my eyes.

"Sorry, I had to use the toilet."

He chuckled, shuffling closer to the wall so I could fit beside him. I lied down, putting my hands behind my head for support. We started watching some videos on Liam's phone, laughing at people who were making fun of each other.

Just as one video stopped playing, he put his phone down and kept his eyes on the wall in front of us. I furrowed my eyebrows at the action, wondering what he was thinking about. "Hey, what's up?" I asked.

He bit his bottom lip, shrugging his shoulders. "Nothing. I just... Eh, it doesn't matter."

The curiosity blew up inside me. I shouldered him playfully. "Come on, tell me. You know you can tell me anything."

He let out a sigh, looking out the window. "I was just wondering... I know you don't want to talk about it. You made it very clear last time I tried, but I just need to know, alright?"

The fact that he wouldn't get to the point made me even more curious about what he wanted to talk about, and a little frustrated as well. However, considering what he just said, did I really want to know what he was thinking about? What was he even talking about in the first place?

The curiosity got the best of me though, and I shrugged. "Shoot."

"Okay... So, Louis. He was your boyfriend, right?"

The second he mentioned the name, I felt a tug in my heart. "Liam, I told yo--"

He closed his eyes and shook his head. "I know you don't want to talk about him. Last time I tried after he had been here the first time, you refused to even say his name. Clearly, something must have happened between the two of you, and I want to know, alright?"

I sat up in bed, looking down at him. "Why can't you just accept the fact that I don't want to talk about him? He's a finished chapter in my life, okay? You don't have to worry about him, ever. Let's just forget about him," I snapped.

He wouldn't meet my gaze as he was still looking out the window. It was quiet for a minute until he finally opened his mouth. "He's Lou, isn't he?" He almost whispered.

Again, I felt a tug in my heart. Looking down at the bracelet that was still around my wrist, I swallowed hard. He was Lou, and he wore the exact same bracelet as me... or did. He had probably taken it off by now. I had given it to him when we were twelve, and I could still remember that day as clearly as if it had happened yesterday.