Chapter 17 ~ The Confession

[Louis]

The rest of that day was pretty uneventful other than the fact that people kept staring at me. My friends and Hannah didn't bring up Harry again, which I was happy about. Additionally, I didn't see him another time that school day either.

Once the last bell of the day rang, I went to my locker to get my backpack and jacket before heading towards the exits. I'd told Hannah that she didn't have to wait for me since I wasn't going home. I needed to think, and there was only one place where I could really do that, and that was where I was heading.

Once I had hopped onto the right bus, I sat down in an empty seat. Thankfully, the place wasn't far away, so only five minutes later, I was exiting the bus again. The second I saw the lake, a smile crept to my face. Sure, it didn't look like it did in my mind considering snow was covering the ground now, but it was still my favorite place.

I walked out on the dock and sat down, exactly on the spot where Harry and I used to sit and enjoy each other's company all those years ago. The memory made another smile spread on my lips. Fuck, I shouldn't think this way. However, I just couldn't forget about it all. He just meant so much to me... or did.

"You still come here?"

My insides froze to ice by that voice. No, it couldn't be.

I turned around only to see none other than Harry Styles himself walking towards me. He was only a few feet away, looking at me with no emotion on his face. My heart started racing. This was not what I had expected when I first decided to go here. Not at all.

When I didn't answer him, he let out a sigh and sat down beside me. He kept some distance between us, which I was happy about. I wouldn't be able to handle it if he were closer. We were silent for at least three minutes until he broke it.

"Louis?"

"What? What do you want?" I asked, my voice flat.

He looked out at the icy lake, running a hand through his brown curls. "I... I don't know where to start."

I raised my eyebrows, looking at the side of his face. "What are you even doing here? This place can't possibly mean anything to you anymore."

He let out another sigh, turning his head so he was looking at me. This time, he had a concerned look on his face. "I know I've been acting like an asshole."

Letting out a humorless laugh, I shook my head. "You know what? I don't even know why I'm letting you talk to me. After the way you've treated me the past two years, you shouldn't even deserve to be this close to me." I attempted to stand up and walk away from him, but he pulled me back down by grabbing my forearm.

"Please, Lou."

The nickname made an electric shock go through my heart. No, he couldn't do this. With a frown on my face, I shook my head again. "Don't you dare use that name."

He shut his eyes, his head turned down. "You're still wearing the bracelet," he confirmed, changing the topic.

I didn't reply to him this time either. There was nothing to say. We had both seen each other's bracelets at the party. I could tell it frustrated him that I wouldn't answer his questions by the way he kept squirming. That was another thing I knew about him.

"Why won't you reply to me?" He grumbled.

His words made me knit my eyebrows together. "Because! You don't deserve to get any answers! Did I get any from you when you were away for two years? No! You wouldn't even interact with me!"