Chapter 1: Co-Captain and the Mysterious Boy

Following The Boyz's grand win at their last dance competition, the group felt an immense, newfound pressure to put on even better performances, and continue to impress as many people as possible. Haknyeon put most of the pressure on himself, being the captain of the team, but Sunwoo wouldn't allow it. Instead, he recommended that Haknyeon made someone on the team co-captain, so he could balance out some of the pressure and responsibilities. Normally, Haknyeon would think anything Sunwoo suggested to be pretty stupid, but he thought his boyfriend was onto something here. Having a co-captain just might actually work.

The Boyz gathered at practice as per usual 2nd period. Haknyeon took center stage to address his team. Many thought he was going to give some motivational speech or spill what new song they would be learning, instead, he began opening up. "I have to be honest, I am so proud of our "Rumor" performance, we did such an amazing job! Because of all of your hard work we won! But because of that, we need to continue to impress everyone and work even harder. Honestly, the pressure of being captain has been a lot since the competition. It's really overwhelming and I don't think I can handle it...at least not alone."

"So Sunwoo has helped me come to the decision of appointing a co-captain for the team who I will be announcing right now," Haknyeon announced, Sunwoo giving off a proud smile. The Boyz looked around in excitement at each other, anticipating the name Haknyeon was going to call.

"The co-captain not only has to be a good dancer, but it has to be someone who is approachable, patient, understanding, and passionate. A real team player. Basically, everything Sunwoo isn't," Haknyeon teased.

The Boyz all laughed in unison much to Sunwoo's chagrin. "Shut up idiots!"

"So I have come to a decision that the co-captain of the team will be...Changmin." Everyone turned towards Changmin, or Q as he was sometimes called, clapping their hands.

The tall, slender boy rubbed his soft, big eyes to make sure he had heard Haknyeon correctly and that this wasn't just a dream.

"W-wait...me? Are you sure?" Changmin hesitantly asked. Changmin's greatest love was dancing. It was his biggest passion in life and the thing that gave him the most joy. He knew he was good, and so did everyone else, Changmin always being the one they went to for tips, tricks, and checks. Changmin was a kind, thoughtful person and he was all about helping his teammates. However, Changmin never really saw himself as a leader, and never in a million did he think he would be the team's co-captain.

"Are you deaf? Yes giraffe boy, you are the co-captain," Sunwoo bluntly answered.

"Oh...okay," Changmin mumbled, still in shock at Haknyeon's announcement.

"So, since we're going to be a lot busier with more performances, and taking on some harder routines, that means we're gonna have to start practicing a lot more. We'll be holding 1-3 more practices per week starting today," Haknyeon continued.

"Uhh that's a going to be a problem for me," a voice suddenly called out from the back of the group.

The eleven other members turned to face the voice, finding their way to a handsome, tall, and stylish boy with brown hair standing with his arms crossed.

"Ah--Younghoon, I know you're busy but--"

"I can't do any more practices. I barely have time for this as is. No ands, ifs or buts about it. I can't commit to any more practices," Younghoon coldly interrupted before grabbing his things and exiting the room. "I'm leaving, I'm late for work."

"And there he goes. We'll discuss this more next time. Sorry, guys, we're done for today," Haknyeon concluded, dismissing everyone from practice.

Changmin remained on the practice floor gathering his thoughts. Younghoon was always such a mystery to him. He was quiet, but not the shy, afraid of people type of quiet. He chose not to talk anyone, and you could just feel his cold, icy demeanor when looking at him. Younghoon didn't really have any friends in The Boyz and that didn't bother him. He simply attended practice and competitions, did what he had to do and left. Younghoon is always one of the last people to arrive but is the first one to pack up and leave. Simply put, he's always on the run and no one knows why. No one really knows anything about him. He's always been like this since he transferred to the school two years ago. Younghoon was such an enigma, but if Changmin was going to be co-captain he'd need to look over the entire team, including Younghoon. But how could he do this if he barely knows anything about the guy?

"Changmin! Why are you still sitting there? Let's go Yunjin is waiting for us!" Chanhee said as he ran up to his best friend. "Is something wrong?"

"It's just Younghoon. Why is he being so rude about the practices and stuff?" Changmin questioned.

"That's just Younghoon, he's a bitter asshole. Let's go," Chanhee said walking out of the practice room with Changmin.

The two found themselves to the science lab where a tall, dark-haired girl from the United States was waiting.

"Finally! There are my favorite diva and my favorite giraffe," she called out. Chanhee was known for his sassy, diva-like behavior, and Q was called a giraffe because of his long neck.

"Yunjin!" Chanhee called out hugging the girl.

"It's my fellow giraffe! Kirin!"Q also called out. Kirin, or giraffe in Japanese, also became Yunjin's nickname from many of her Japanese friends due to her tall height and long neck.

"So how was practice?" Yunjin asked.

"Not bad. Haknyeon said we're gonna be having a lot more practices so we can continue slaying the dance game. But it was also really good because Changmin became co-captain!!"

Yunjin hugged Changmin and cheered.

"Wow, that's so great! You deserve it Q-tie! You're the best dancer I know! What a perfect position to get your senior year huh?"

"Thanks, Kirin," Changmin muttered.

"You don't look so excited what is it?"

"I just don't know if I'm fit to be captain. There's not just dancing. I have to take care of the members and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that."

"Is this about Younghoon?" Chanhee inquired. He was always able to read right through his best friend and tell if something was wrong.

"Younghoon? Oh! That handsome senior in The Boyz with you guys? He moved here two years ago right? He's the son of Mr. Kim! The rich guy who owns that big banking company...what's the name? Oh right, Hoya Banking! He's an asshole honestly! He's really closed off and cold. I never see him talking to anyone. Weird too because he's in like a hundred different clubs here and I know he works at that popular burger place near the school."

Hearing this information puzzled Changmin. If Younghoon worked at a popular burger place and was part of so many different clubs he should be pretty sociable and friendly. Instead, he was cold, mysterious, and just closed off from everyone. He's pretty attractive too, so just why is he like this? Changmin couldn't figure it out. He didn't know why but he was really curious and wanted to unravel the mystery that is Younghoon, and just figure out why he is the way he is, and that's just what he planned to do.