Prologue

Summary
For as long as she can remember, Blaze has had an unusual love for storms. Besides that, she had a fairly normal life, excluding the fact that her beauty attracted unwanted attention and that her stormy blue eyes had white lightning bolts infused in them.
But all the little normality she had built up over the years comes crashing down one night, when she finds out that normal isn't an option for a girl like her.
Now, with her father dead, and her mother missing, Blaze struggles with a battle to control the fiery power growing inside of her, with the help of her brother, protector, trainer, and other friends she's picked up along the way. Bit by bit, she's rebuilding a new version of normality.
On the inside, though, she's terrified that her internal war will never end, and she might be too late to save the ones she loves.
End of summary

Prologue
I used to have a fairly normal life until one night, when I found out that normal isn't possible for someone like me. Let me tell you a bit about myself.

When I was a kid, people thought I was adorable. Now, they think I'm beautiful, which I probably am. I have chestnut brown hair that flows in waves, a little past my shoulders. I have a light tan, and barely noticeable freckles, but my the strangest thing about me is my eyes. They were a deep, dark blue with a spot of white. But that's not the thing that's strange. The white in my eyes were in the shape of lightning bolts. Yeah I know, weird. My parents call it a power mark. So, I have a power mark. My brother Travis and my dad have one too, but not my mom. It was only passed down in dad's family. He said it's what made us special.

Dad's power mark were two bird shapes, one in each eye. His eye colour was blue, like me, but unlike me, it was a light blue, like the sky. The colour of the bird was a light, peacefully purple.

Travis' eyes were dark green, going on my grandpa, and had a bit of brown in them shaped like a tree.

My moms eyes were a dull, grey colour, not anything special. Because of that, it was obvious that most of Travis and I's genes came from my dad.

I always thought it was a bit strange, but nobody ever noticed the lightning bolts in my eyes. It's like they were invisible. I mean, they noticed the rare dark blue shade of my eyes, but never the white lightning inside them. I sometimes like to imagine that I'm a demigod in The Lightning Thief, and the glamour is preventing people from seeing my strange eyes.

Who am I kidding.

Demigods have normal eyes.

Anyway, like I said, nobody ever notices my eyes except my family, and people really close to me that I've told. For example, my two best friends, Acusio and Tayra. When I first met them, they didn't seem to see anything strange about my eyes, but when I trusted them enough to tell them, they were shocked that they didn't notice it before. Like it had always been there, but they only realized it until now. Acusio also told me about his eyes. His family was strange, like mine. His eyes were light green with a red ladybug shape in each eye. I always found them fascinating.

I met Acusio before Tayra, when I was in kindergarten. It was lunch time, on the first day of school, and some guy sitting beside me kept spitting his chewed macaroni onto my sandwich. I told him to stop, but he didn't listen, and I was too shy to tell the teacher so I ran out of the classroom crying. The teacher had been talking on he phone and didn't notice me leaving. Dumb teacher.

I was sitting in the coat rack, behind all the coats, crying and sniffing, when a hand shoved the coats aside and a boy in my class I had never talked to before came to sit beside me. He had dark brown hair and light green eyes, and looked nicer than the guy who ruined my lunch, so I let him sit with me.

"Why are you crying?" He asks. I sniffed.

"Gerry ruined my lunch." I told him. He hugs me, and stands up, pushing the coats aside and leaving. I thought he wasn't coming back, so I started crying harder, (don't blame me, I was four years old), but he came back a few seconds later with a Marvel lunch box. He opens his lunch box and hands me a few cookies from his stack.