2. Levitas

"Can someone explain to me what's going on?" I asked no one in particular, confused about this whole situation. It was obvious that these people knew way more about my life than I knew myself.

All six of us were currently driving to this place called the 'Levitas Mansion', as Xander called it. We were sitting in a black van that Xander was driving, Ash sitting shotgun. I was sitting in the middle seat with Travis, and Acusio was in the back seat. He was lying horizontal across the seat, with his head in his protectors lap. His name was River.

Travis was awake, but barely. He was having trouble sitting up and his head kept lolling to the side, his eyes half way closed. I told him multiple times to just sleep if he was that tired, but he just mumbled something about protecting Acusio and I and went back to his half zombie state.

River had just finished dabbing the cut on Acusio's head with an antiseptic washcloth, and was now starting to stitch it up. I guess it was pretty useful having an unconscious patient. If Acusio was awake, he would never agree to having stitches in his head. He was terrified of needles.

"Well," River started, answering my question when it was apparent no one else would, while finishing the last stitch on Acusio's head, "If you don't already know, you three are not quite human."

I just stared at him. Was he serious? Not quite human?

"Are you trying to insult me" I asked him incredulously. I had actually pegged River for a nice guy.

"No! Of course not!" He quickly denied. "I'm serious. We're all not quite human. Not in that weird monster/animal way, more like in the superhero kind of way. You guys have super powers and so do we. We're called Levitas', in short, Levits. All of us have symbols in our eyes that symbolize our powers, but they are not visible to anyone unless they are your birth parents or your siblings. No one else can see your power mark until you tell them what it is. Then it will seem like it had always been there."

I twisted myself around in my seat to stare at him for a second. I had this weird gift where I can tell if people are lying or not. It's not an official ability, but when I think someone's lying, I'm usually right.

"You're not lying?" I asked him, just to tease him. I already knew he was telling the truth. All I needed was one look in his eyes, and I could tell.

"No, of course not."

"You swear?"

"Yes! You probably don't believe me though, most new Levits don't-"

"I believe you."

"-I can understand why you won't, it'll probably take a while- wait, what?"

"I said I believe you."

River was silent for a moment. Them he cracked a grin.

"Kid, you have the lie detector ability. Your potential as a Levitas looks promising."

"Why, thank you!" I exclaimed. I think I said it a little too loud, because Acusio's eyes fluttered opened. He groaned.

"Where am I?" He asked, his voice heavily slurred, as if drunk. He didn't seem to notice that his head was on his protectors lap.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty." I greeted him, happy to see him awake. He turned his head to the side, looking at me through sleepy eyes.

"Blaze?" He asked. "Where are we?"

"In a car." I told him. "We're being rescued."

"By who?"

"Our protectors."